Hi,

I haven't had the need to use an anchor tag like <a href="wahtever.html#here">blah blah</a> and <a name="#here"></a> in years. Now that I do, I'm using it on a page with layers too. I noticed that if I name the layer the same as the anchor (like <div id="here"), a link from another page will jump to that layer location. But...

Is this reliable? Does it work in all major browsers? Is this valid code or a fluke thing?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Download A-Prompt Program Version 1.0
here

Try looking up Anchor and Target :)

By using the ID attribute, you have basically made a "jump to link"....

usually, in the anchor, you'd have to have something like... href="blah.html/#thisonegere"... and in the page markup have an id for "thisonehere".
The link is jumping to that point!

you have basically made a "jump to link"....

What is the real difference? Will the "jump to link" work in the major browsers?

Thanks.

arg... go look it up :D

It should work i most modern browsers and the majority of text-readers.
go download some other browsers and test it ;)

It's not new, nor is it phenominal... it's the same as the "Back to top" stuff on a lot of sites...
Look it up, read the usage andresults, then decide if you want to use it.

In my opinion... if you link to a page, it should start at the top.
If you link to an item on the page, you should go to that item (the jump link)... possibly with an option to go to the main page without jumping to the item.

But it boils down to choice.

They are talking about deprecating the name attribute in anchor tags.

Then what will replace it?

I don't know.

They never came up with a good replacement for the center tag, or starting an ordered list at a number other than 1. The elitists making the decisions don't consider the fact that some people have uses for html other than books and newspapers.

Some possibilities include the id attribute, and a relative version of the href attribute.

Hi,

I haven't had the need to use an anchor tag like <a href="wahtever.html#here">blah blah</a> and <a name="#here"></a> in years. Now that I do, I'm using it on a page with layers too. I noticed that if I name the layer the same as the anchor (like <div id="here"), a link from another page will jump to that layer location. But...

Is this reliable? Does it work in all major browsers? Is this valid code or a fluke thing?

Thanks.

Thank You!!!!!

The id attribute is replacing the name attribute.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.