Hi, all. I am new to this board, and am an amatuer computer tech/screwdriver wizard (read "witchdoctor"!:rolleyes: ). I am largely self-taught, and probably don't know nearly as much as most others here. Anyway, on to my problem. I am trying to revive an old 286/12, and need some info on the motherboard. I found a website a few day ago with tons of info on various different computer components, but, being the idiot that I am, I didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it again. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find any such? The specific computer I am working on is a Samsung S550. Any ideas? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

have you tried looking in your internets history for the site?? also if you need info on anything, look for the FCCID Number, with that number you can put it into an FCCID reader and you can find out all the info you will ever need to know about the motherboard.

Yes, I thought about looking in my history for the site, but I was on it a few days ago, and my browser is set to delete all history as soon as the browser is closed. I didn't, however, think about looking up the FCCID #. I don't think it has an FCC #, but I will look and see. Where are you going for an "ID reader"?

Hi, all. I am new to this board, and am an amatuer computer tech/screwdriver wizard (read "witchdoctor"!:rolleyes: ). I am largely self-taught, and probably don't know nearly as much as most others here. Anyway, on to my problem. I am trying to revive an old 286/12, and need some info on the motherboard. I found a website a few day ago with tons of info on various different computer components, but, being the idiot that I am, I didn't bookmark it, and now I can't find it again. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find any such? The specific computer I am working on is a Samsung S550. Any ideas? Thanks!

one would ask Why try and revive such an old comp!,one would ask what info you need ,please open the case and get a name or number off the board and post it here .

Edit ,a search reveals noting but cmos batteries ,for the Samsung S550,mus be another model name on it somewhere .is it a laptop by chance

one would ask Why try and revive such an old comp!

One might indeed ask such a question. The answer is simple; I need to run software that is very speed sensitive. It was originally written back in the day of the 'original' PC AT, running at 4.22 (or whatever the speed of those beasts was) MHz, and the programmers that made it didn't take the possibility of faster processors in the future into account. In some instances, it won't even run on a (much) faster processor; in others, it runs, but is very flakey. Either way, I've pretty much written off the old Samsung system. There are a couple of components on the board that are burnt pretty badly, so it's probably not worth fixing.

One might indeed ask such a question. The answer is simple; I need to run software that is very speed sensitive. It was originally written back in the day of the 'original' PC AT, running at 4.22 (or whatever the speed of those beasts was) MHz, and the programmers that made it didn't take the possibility of faster processors in the future into account. In some instances, it won't even run on a (much) faster processor; in others, it runs, but is very flakey. Either way, I've pretty much written off the old Samsung system. There are a couple of components on the board that are burnt pretty badly, so it's probably not worth fixing.

Good answer ,maybe find a working one on ebay or at yard sales .good luck .
http://computers.search.ebay.ca/vintage-computer_Vintage-PCs_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ4193

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.