I have a customers Toshiba laptop, it is working fine while on battery power but as soon as external power is plugged in it dies. If you try to power up after that with it plugged it it will light up and 3 seconds later shut off. It wouldn't hold CMOS configuration when it came in so i replaced a rechargeable Button battery. Now it still doesn't hold CMOS but I'm not sure if it was able to get charged up yet. The power cord is remote and goes directly to the MOBO. Any idea's on the charger issue?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I have a customers Toshiba laptop, it is working fine while on battery power but as soon as external power is plugged in it dies. If you try to power up after that with it plugged it it will light up and 3 seconds later shut off. It wouldn't hold CMOS configuration when it came in so i replaced a rechargeable Button battery. Now it still doesn't hold CMOS but I'm not sure if it was able to get charged up yet. The power cord is remote and goes directly to the MOBO. Any idea's on the charger issue?

I am having the exact same problem with my Toshiba Satellite A205-5000. It will shut down about 5 seconds after the power cord is plugged into it. If the power is not plugged into the wall, it is fine, but as soon as it is plugged in, BAM! the PC shuts off in 5 seconds. The battery will charge with no problems. There are times, with just the battery in use, that it will just shut down. But, 98% of the time, it shuts down when the AC power supply is turned on.

Hi,
Could it be possible that the power supply/AC adapter is the problem. Sometimes the originals are not good enough. I found these numbers for Toshiba Satellite M65: 19V 3.95A 75W

I am repairing a Toshiba Satellite A300 that immediately shuts down when the power adapter plug is inserted - even when the mains power is turned off! It has to be totally disconnected from the power supply before it will boot XP.

i am having a similar problem with a toshiba L355, it would take charge when off but if on and the charger is plugged in it would immediately shut off, it wont even power up while plugged in. only on battery power but the battery dies in 10mins :-(

I have a toshiba sattelite A200 and I have the same problem. When connected to the mains power it turns off and then there are start up issues, but on battery power its OK. But battery only lasts 5 minutes.

Where is the answer to everyone problem?
There must be a fix for this as its a common enough fault.

Its not a batery or transformer problem because my daughter has the same computer and when I swap the batery pack and transformer to my computer the problems still there

Ive been having this problem for a long time
Basically I´ve tried all kinds of things such as:
-opening up the computer and cleaning out the cleaning unit, didnt work
-changing settings in the BIOS, didnt work
-changing Minimum processor state in the Power Options-processor power management, didnt work

However what seems to be a common problem in all toshiba laptops is:
The Toshiba Power Saver, you need to uninstall this program, but since I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7, the program was already deleted.

So here's what I did and thats working now so far
I went into the Control panel>Power OptionsZ>Choose the balanced power>change advanced setting>
Now open up EVERY TAB and change the settings of the plugged in to be the same as that of on battery, (even the screen brightness), then restart computer and plug your cord back in and see if it works, if not let me know and i can give you other tips

I am having pretty much the same issue. I have a Satellite L355. Here is what it's doing:

Every time I turn it on it will only get so far and shut down. Sometimes it will get all the way to the log in screen then shut down, sometimes it will only get to the main black/splash screen that says Toshiba. The last month or so it would shut down randomly even with the charger in it...fan was running too...but sometimes the fan made a weird noise so I'm wondering if it needs to be replaced? But last week it just randomly shut off and now has started doing what it's doing now with the random shut off during start up. I've had the charger plugged in for a few days now and the orange charging light never goes to green and eventually will just turn off and only the adapter light that's on the laptop stays on. I bought a battery on ebay that hadn't been tested yet but they offered a refund if it wouldn't hold a charge so I went ahead and bought it...got it in today and it's not charging either. The charger I have is not a dedicated charger, it's a cheap generic one from ebay as well...the wiring started showing on the charger and I fixed it and it WAS working properly but with the issue that's going on now I'm thinking maybe my charger could be an issue as well??

Any help is appreciated. I NEED this fixed asap!

You should get a proper Toshiba charger. Those cheapo ones on eBay are a load of rubbish!

Hi

I have a custormer laptop Toshiba Satellite A300 when on battering it works fine but when you plug the power it goes dead and restart. It charges well and work well on battery

I have this exact problem. Laptop works fine on battery, and runs for 15 sec. max when power adapter is connected.

Laptop is a Toshiba L305D-S5934

Heres what I have tried so far:

1. Fresh Install of Windows 7 (no toshiba bloatware)
  2. Different power adapter (same problem)
  3. Start computer with no battery and only A/C (didnt even make it to boot into windows)

I can hear the fan running at times, so I do not believe it is a heat issue.

Any suggestions guys?

The same issue with an L300 Tosh, however I can run in safe mode with mains for as long as I want.

I had a problem with my laptop using a questionable source of power outside. Once I came inside and used a three pronged outlet it worked normally. But as for my other laptop with the repaired power receptical , that is not working .

you laptoip is configures to use more power when on the electrical plug. hench the fan will spin faster, giving off more heat. get a can of air blow out the fan. then give it a try again.

i had the same issue on a toshiba recently after opening it up and blowing out the fan it ave not have that issue since.

i have the same issue of power off of the toshiba laptop as soon the AC power is connnected. But on battery it works perfectly well.

Can any body be of assistance in resolving this AC power connection issue.

The post by Notsosure is 100% correct this NEC / Tolkin chip needs to be replaced cost $2.
Requires a fair bit of soldering skill or take it to a repair shop with the pic of the chip and get a quote.
I have done several of these and this solved the problem.

i have the same problem of my toshiba satellite C850-B693 when i plug power cable was shutdown after 5 sec but it start again itself plz any one who have ideas about this problem help me!

i have the same problem when charger connected the lap suddenly shuts off. some one said i need to replace some ic chip, n now i think its the NEC/TOKIN Proadlizer that they are replacing.But they are charging high here @2500 rupees.

Just replaced the NEC/Tokin OE128 Proadlizer with 4 Panasonic 2R5TPE330M7 2.5v 330μf 7MΩ ESR tantalum smd capacitors. Works like a champ.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.