Toshiba 305 Laptop.
Took a blunt trauma to the keyboard, will not start up.
On power up, the power on light starts, sometimes the hard drive light will flash very quickly and go out. Then nothing. Nothing ever appears on the display. No beeps.
Sometimes after this, if you force power down by a 5 sec holding of power key then try again, it will do the above for 1-2 seconds then power light will go out...sometimes to come back on again a few seconds later of its own accord.
- Fan is running.
- HDD spins, but does not access. HDD works fine in other laptop. Good HDD from other laptop used in this one has same symptoms. All data has been backed up from the drive without error.
- Fn button light comes on while Fn button is pressed.
- Caps lock light does not come on.
- Wireless network adapter light does not come on.
Opened casing. No obvious signs of physical damage, all connections were secure. Removed and replaced all connectors to ensure tight fit. Cleared dust from fan and a few hairs that had infiltrated the housing. Even removed CPU and replaced, replacing cooling gel (I thought that perhaps the chip had been compressed against the cooling unit by the blow and that perhaps the gel had been squeezed out and no longer had a good connection to the cooling unit.).
- Tried the 60 second hold down power button while all power supplies disconnected - no effect
- Tried boot disk, but BIOS never gets to checking the drive.
- Tried swapping the memory modules - no effect