I have a Dell 8400, with Xp. It was purchassed in 2006. I was having lock up problems and was told by Best Buy that my OS was bad and needed to be reinstalled.
I formated my hard using the CD that came with the computer and reinstalled windows.
Now the computer locks up when the Windows XP flashed on the screen. I ran the a test of the devices and got the Message IDE device failed, Blank media or no media is present in Optical device

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have a Dell 8400, with Xp. It was purchassed in 2006. I was having lock up problems and was told by Best Buy that my OS was bad and needed to be reinstalled.
I formated my hard using the CD that came with the computer and reinstalled windows.
Now the computer locks up when the Windows XP flashed on the screen. I ran the a test of the devices and got the Message IDE device failed, Blank media or no media is present in Optical device

Reinstalling Windows is Best Buy's answer to any problem.

As for the blank media error you are getting during diagnostics, don't worry about that. You're getting that error because the diagnostics is trying to test the CD/DVD drive but their was no disc in it to test with.

Does the system boot in safe mode?

I just did another format of the hard drive and tried to load XP it gets to installing windows, half way thru Installing devices and locks up.
It does not give me an option to run in safe mode
Any Ideas?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.