Hi,

First of all, I apologize for any mistake in English, as my native language is French.

I have been using a Dimension 2400 for years without any problem

Now, I am facing the following trouble :

When I press the power button, the front green light is not as dark green as usual. The PC starts untill the display of the windows (XP) logo. And then, the screen gets dark. The mouse works, but no action can be done.

I tried various things such as unplugging the computer or starting in safe mode. But nothing worked.

All the four diagnostic LEDs on the rear are green.

I have also made the following tests :

- by pressing the F12 key, I could reach the menu that allowed me to check the hard disk : the result was "Pass"

- I also tried to go to "Boot to utility partition", but this leads to the display of the Windows logo screen, followed by a black screen

- I also tried to start in safe mode, but this leads to the display of the Windows logo screen, followed by a black screen

Finally, I tried to repair windows xp from the cd, but after the repairing process nothing changed :

I still reach the windows logo screen, and then I get a black screen (just with the mouse cursor on it, which can move)

Could someone help me in this matter ?

Thank you in advance,

Patrick

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Have you tried leaving it alone for a while when it reaches the black screen? It could just be booting very slowly (for whatever reason).

Hi,

Yes, I left the computer on the black screen for more than one hour, and nothing happened.

Thank you,

Patrick

Ok, try unplugging from the computer all CD drives, floppy drives, extra hard drives (that do not have the operating system on it), and extra cards not necessary to the function of the computer (such as internet cards or sound cards). If it boots up after that, reinstall the parts you took out one at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

Ok, try unplugging from the computer all CD drives, floppy drives, extra hard drives (that do not have the operating system on it), and extra cards not necessary to the function of the computer (such as internet cards or sound cards). If it boots up after that, reinstall the parts you took out one at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

Hi,

I finally managed to solve all my problems.

1- In order to be able to boot on the CD, I did the following :
- I took the battery off
- I waited for one hour before put the battery again in place
- Then, when powering the computer, I was automatically asked to set the date and time in the setup.
- After doing it, I could see that the CD driver had been re-installed.

2 So, I could re-install windows xp from the installation windows xp CD.
Thus, the computer worked.

3- The computer is a part of a 3-computer network.
And unfortunately, the repaired computer could not access the network.
After some time to search for the related reasons, I realized that the re-installed windows xp version was the SP1.
On the two other computers, the windows xp version was, of course, sp3.
So, I upgraded sp1 to sp3.
And, at last, the repaired computer could access the network.

Thank you for every piece of information I was given on this forum.

Kind Regards,

Patrick

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.