Kiba Ookami 0 Junior Poster in Training

Hey all, I've got a problem. Well, a line of problems accually. I'll bring you up to date.

I reciently got Verison DSL. And as users know, you need a network interface card in order to hook your pc to the modem, a Westell Versalink 327W. (Though I wonder why I can't use the ethernet port on my motherboard?)

I got the account set up, and manualy conected whenever I needed to (start menu, connections...) but a few days after, I ended up stuck on the verison webpage telling me I was behind on billing. However, I wasn't, and after a long time in between billing and tech, a tech had me change a few settings on a webpage so that my modem was "Always on", and had me delete the software dialer.

This worked for a bit.

However, if my cable becomes unplugged, or if my modem is cut off (Keep in mind that my PC is downstairs, the modem was upstairs connecting to the upstairs PC then down to mine) or something like that, it tended to do a funny issue on log in.

What would happen is this: If my modem is turned on, and an ehternet cable runs to my network card, then when I boot the PC and get the the log in screen, the PC would freeze for about 8 seconds, then resume for 3 seconds, and from there it keeps cycleing that issue again and again.

Calling tech support, they had me do a bunch of rigamaro involving resetting the modem (Yes, I've tried that) and, when the PC started behaving correctly, going back to the web page and resetting the "Always on" connection.

Seince the first issue, this has happened 3 times, and its starting to get extremely annoying. I've tried calling Netgear, but their tech support is another moron corperation--2 hours (yes, 2 because 11:30 pm to 1:30 am is 2 hours) on a phone with a guy who's native language is indian, dosn't get me anywhere.

Thus updated on the situation, my question is this.

1)Whats causing the lock ups?
2)Could the "always on" bit be causing issues? Because seince then, I've been unable to download anything using BitTorrent, or any file share, if the file is of a significant size.

I'd really appreciate any help dearly.
Regards,
Kiba

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.