I went to veiw some pictures, but the CD's tray wouldn't open. I went to add/delete hardware to troubleshoot the optical system, and it appeares to be ok. The green LED comes on when I try to access the CD, but that's it.

Operating System Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
CPU Type AMD Athlon, 600 MHz (6 x 100)
Motherboard Name MSI K7Pro (MS-6195) (6 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Optical Drive CD-ROM Drive/G6D

I am well versed in the use of a VOM, and can recognize and trouble shoot most components on a PC board. But I don't know where to start with this one, I'm new to computers (first computer given to me 11/2004).

I do appreciate your response.

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by dcc

I've seen that sometimes, usually booting the machine gets rid of the gremlins.

If it doesn't (in this machine it may have been a flaky connection building up static charge) you should just replace the drive, CD drives cost next to nothing.

this has happened to me also, open the tray with a pin, then close it again then reboot the machine, if that doesnt work your cd drive is wasted

Thanks for the response guys...I did open it with a pin, reclosed it, rebooted it, just the danged LED comes on. Is there any possibilty that this is a software problem?
I had another thread ealier asking about whether or not to save an installation file, and Catweazle suggetsted that I save on a disk, I responded that I didn't have a RW CD...looks like I'm heading that way!

my Techical Manager told me if u LED is on all the time and does not switch of, it means ur cd drive is finished.

Well...the plot thickens! Last night when I was playing with this I shut down the computer, and when it went to restart a message came up in the BIOS, it reads: See Master Drive ATAPI Incompatible...Press F1 to resume. It wouldn't repeat when I did a reboot, this morning I removed the data cable to see what would happen with the LED, and when I restarted the computer the same message came up. (By the way...the LED stays on when the tray is closed). I looked this up:

Short for AT Attachment Packet Interface, an extension to EIDE (also called ATA-2) that enables the interface to support CD-ROM players and tape drives.

So now I'm guessing that this is a software issue, can anyone help me with this please? And should this be moved to the Windows forum?

I just started the computer this evening, and the tray slid shut, and works now! That's it, I'm going for an exorcisim.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.