Ok I have just installed a new Asus mobo and a Asus 9600XT video card
I have a Celeron 2.2Ghz
768MB DDR RAM
and a 250Watt PS
Windows XP

Now before I installed the new mobo and video card this happened rarely, but now that I installed the new mobo and video card my games and pc act weird frequently, First my games freeze, lets say Im playing a racing game the screen just stops there,but the sounds keep going and I can hear things crashing, sometimes the car goes black and the screen freezes too. If Im playing other games the pc sometimes restarts.
Now I have narrowed the problems down alot
My memory is not fualty
I reinstalled my OS and updated the drivers
I ran a few scan disks
and my mobo and video card is brand new

Now that last 2 reasons causing this problem can be slow cpu or weak PS
Maybe now that I have a stronger video card and maybe stronger mobo that requires more power my PS is not enough?
Or maybe my Celeron is just not a powerful enough cpu for 3D games. Beacuase so far I have not encountered any problems while working on my pc or web browsing its just on games.

Well if anyone has any tips or sugestions please tell me, thanks
BTW Im going with a Pentium 4 if I get a new cpu please dont start telling me AMD is better becuase I dont feel like buying a new mobo
and my current mobo support HT and high cpu speeds.

feigned commented: I bet you've gotta be pissed off about buying the new motherboard and video card, only to find out a newer power supply is required so the games you bought the new hardware for can run flawlessly! Hope it works out, post in thread when finished! +31

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

250 watt? :lol:

Yes, it's time to upgrade that too. With the new video card especially, you're drawing a lot of power from the PSU, and that's why you're having the freezing issues.

It only happens when the card is doing a lot of 3d graphics work (games), and that's when it pulls the most power.

I'd recommend an Antec True 380 or just a plain vanilla 400w PSU from any number of online vendors.

:)

Hi,
My CPU usage started to jump to 100% when I go to certain website or play FIFA2004... and auto shutdown after it reach 100% for sometime... My pc have all the system requirement stated for the game and even much better...
please help me.

Have you gone into MSCONFIG and made sure you don't have a bunch of programs running in the background at startup? If not then deselect the progs you don't need at startup like Office, etc.., your PSU may also be a part of the problem as said.

I went to tigerdirect.com and ordered a Mid-tower/ATX/Server Case with a 485watt powersupply but it hasn't arrived yet,and that should be more than enough to run anything right?

Btw right now my mobo only supports 533FSb should I spend the extra $$$ and buy a mobo that supports 800FSB and then get a fast P4 (3.0^) with HT and a 800FSb
or should I just keep my current mobo and buy the 3.06P4 533FSB HT ?

All I need it for is 3D gaming, office work(like typing and slide shows),DVD burning and movie editing,and simple to moderate flash animation and graphics design.
I think that the 533FSb 3.06P4 with HT should be sufficeint but anyone have opinions?

I went to tigerdirect.com and ordered a Mid-tower/ATX/Server Case with a 485watt powersupply but it hasn't arrived yet,and that should be more than enough to run anything right?

Btw right now my mobo only supports 533FSb should I spend the extra $$$ and buy a mobo that supports 800FSB and then get a fast P4 (3.0^) with HT and a 800FSb
or should I just keep my current mobo and buy the 3.06P4 533FSB HT ?

All I need it for is 3D gaming, office work(like typing and slide shows),DVD burning and movie editing,and simple to moderate flash animation and graphics design.
I think that the 533FSb 3.06P4 with HT should be sufficeint but anyone have opinions?

If you're going to upgrade again, I'd wait like you were initially going to do and build a nice AMD system this summer. But that's just me.

The 3.06HT would be sufficient yes, but it wouldn't be worthwhile.

I went to tigerdirect.com= and ordered a Mid-tower/ATX/Server Case with a 485watt powersupply but it hasn't arrived yet,and that should be more than enough to run anything right?

<way off topic>

I got 512Mb of corsair on the way from tiger; 2day airing that sucker. Should be here by 12:00 tomorrow. Gotta love tiger.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

~Masta

<way off topic>

I got 512Mb of corsair on the way from tiger; 2day airing that sucker. Should be here by 12:00 tomorrow. Gotta love tiger.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

~Masta

While we're giving positives to companies, I'll add that newegg.com and directron.com have never given me troubles, either with the parts I've ordered or the quality of service they've given me. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.