I recently bought a used Celeron 1.7 Hz. The vendor from whom I bought told me that the system had 128MB of RAM. However when I checked the My Computer properties, the system is reporting only 96MB. I am running Windows 2000. The vendor told me that this is normal for Celeron 1.7 systems as the 32MB are set apart by the system for virtual memory and only 96MB appears on the system properties. Is the vendor bluffing?

rational611

I recently bought a used Celeron 1.7 Hz. The vendor from whom I bought told me that the system had 128MB of RAM. However when I checked the My Computer properties, the system is reporting only 96MB. I am running Windows 2000. The vendor told me that this is normal for Celeron 1.7 systems as the 32MB are set apart by the system for virtual memory and only 96MB appears on the system properties. Is the vendor bluffing?

No, they are not lying. Many Intel-based systems (and low-end systems in general) use an onboard video adapter that uses memory shared with the system, so it does not appear in the available-memory pool. I would highly recommend adding at least 128 MB of additional memory, 256 MB would be even better -- 96 MB is simply not enough for Windows to work efficiently, especially on a Celeron.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.