Having similar problem and nothing I've done seems to affect it, except when I've run the system in 'safe' mode, it did not do the CPU thing....
Running AMD AthlonXP, 512 MB RAM, 80 Gig harddrive, 56K, Ethernet, blah... blah... blah....
I've tried just about every suggestion in this board except using 'restore' disk (bf wants to, I'm trying to avoid....I've downloaded too much stuff I'm using that we would lose...have to redo all....trying to avoid that)
Some of the programs I've run trying to fix this:
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Webroot SpyAudit

Earlier today the computer wouldn't even let me get online....it would say I was connected then start dialing again, like it had lost the connection.
I've done everything I can think of to fix this...I'm guessing that since it does not 'do' the messed up CPU thing when it's in safe mode that it has something to do with the start up programs (the ones that run automatically) but I can't seem to find anything. I've run everything (particularly the Spybot program) many times already and I've got my bf breathing down my neck about it..(he thinks I downloaded a virus or worm or something, but Norton shows nothing) Please, help!
Also, my dialup connection keeps kicking me off....don't know if this is related or not.....
I'd appreciate any help you (whoever you are) can offer.

Well, we figured something out..... the system overload seems to have been related to something calling itself WSup.exe and also something calling itself WToolsA.exe. I don't know if these were supposed to be there or not....but they were in Program Files/Common Files/WinTools.
Does anybody know if this is supposed to be there? I thought all the windows stuff would be in the windows folder. I haven't intentionally downloaded anything like this, though this appears to have been in there as an Internet Explorer browser add-on. Funny thing, these files (which I have deleted by the way, just to be on the safe side), though named .exe files, had icons that appeared to be Internet Explorer PAGES, not apps. Anyone else run into something like this? I've still got a few files in this folder which will not allow me to delete them....but the major problem of the CPU usage jumping around seems to be resolved.
Oh, and it was definately NOT normal jumping around......and another funny thing it was doing.....I would move my 'start' bar to the side of the window (left side, if you'd like to know) and lock it. Suddenly, over and over, the bar would move back to the bottom of the screen. I think this was related to the other problem, and I'm really not sure, but it hasn't done it since I deleted those files. The other files in the folder claim that they are protected or in use by another program and will not let me delete them. I don't even know if this file is supposed to be there, so I'm not sure if I should continue trying. Any ideas?
Oh btw, bf is much happier now that the desktop is running the way it's supposed to.
Oh, & sorry for tagging, I'm new to this board and came here in desperation.....
would like to know if it's safe to try to delete these other files and/or even desirable, as I don't know where they came from (the file names left after I deleted WSup.exe & WToolsA.exe are {rezasc.wzg, rmhgxlmu.wzg, WinTools.exe, WToolsB.dll, WToolsC.cfg, WToolsD.cfg, WToolsP.cfg, as well as a temp folder & an update folder-both empty})
I am leaving them for now until I know what they are and HOW to delete them if that's what I need to do.

Bless & blessed be,

Razorblade kisses always,
Dementia Armand

"For I am death....
.....and I never die."


email- dementia@dementedmind.net