Well when I start any game, like counter-strike, the game works for a while, then it suddenly freezes, sound buzzes, the cursor freezes and I can't bring up the mouse cursor. I tried reformatting my computer already and the problem still persists. The freezing lasts for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then I could move the mouse for about 10 seconds and then problem comes back.

Help?

Computer
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3000+
1.81 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Nvidia Gforce NX6600GT

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Ugh. This has happened to me on occaison not so long ago:
1.) You have a RAM issue.
2.) Your heatsink is loose.

My RAM sticks, at one point, were both DDR400, PC3200 models, but of different CAS latency. Often my system would crash, do the buzzing and lockup mentioned above, and include a hardware failure Blue Screen Of Death. It sucked.
More recently, I found that my new heatsink was installed incorrectly and if my system moved at all, the heatsink would move, and my system would act similarly to your own. Without the BSOD. That's all the advice I can give. :\

Here, this is what I tried.
I got the latest Nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com
The 'lag' problem disappeared for a while, when I minimized the game and maximized the game, the whole computer just freezes again. I don't have the blue screen of death, but the problem went down, so it doesn't lag as much. At least not for now.

You mentioned Counterstrike in the first post... When I installed the new drivers myself, any Half-Life 1 based game I played could NOT be minimized and maximized again without my computer dying. Now I remember why this is such a familar situation. I had to revert to older drivers to get HL and the mods I have to function. I think this is a nVidia driver issue. For me, it was just this one game, but it seems your card is reacting anything you play.

Well actually it's not just counter-strike, it's games like.. lets see, starcraft, maplestory, doom 3 etc. Any game .. just .. any game! But notw it doesnt freeze that much now.

I am having a very similar problem. Ive triied to play Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Call of Duty, Need For Speed Underground 2, and they all at some point freeze up (no mouse, keyboard), forcing a warm reboot. The amount of playing time varies in each instance. As far as i know i have the latest video drivers. The only thing i can think of is a overheating GPU, but i keep a well cooled system. Any other suggestions?

XP Pro SP1
P4 2.66Ghz, 800Mhz FSB
1.00GB DDR 2700
Nvidia GeForce 5500FX

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.