Hi ive just done a bios update on my Foxconn G31MX-K LGA775 Motherboard and now it wont post or give any beeps.
The reason why i did the update was i bought a new cpu intel core duo 2 E8500 to replace my previous one which was e4500.
Before the update i put the new cpu in and it wouldnt work so i thought i do the bios update and then put the new cpu in E8500 to see it resolves the problem. Now it doesnt post or beep. Everything powers on and ive tried removing components one by one to see if there is a conflict but still nothing .

Specs

Foxconn G31MX-K LGA775 Motherboard
E4500 cpu
4gb ram
nvidia gtx 440 graphics card

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

If you place all of your original components as they were does the computer boot up? If so, the problem is not BIOS update related. If not, you can always get the BIOS update version you had and apply the known working version.

If everything boots fine with the old components and new BIOS update version, the problem lies with one of the new components not being compatible with you motherboard.

Did you check the specs of your motherboard to see what CPU and RAM it supports?

Everything was working fine before the update. after bios update it completed 100percent and then restarted and then no post or no beeps. plus theres very little i mean little thermal paste as well...could that cause the issue?

ram works fine and it states it supports intel core duo 2 E8500...
still nothing

Everything was working fine before the update.

What Im suggesting is that you try to pinpoint if the problem is bios or component realated. I took this...

Before the update i put the new cpu in and it wouldnt work so i thought i do the bios update and then put the new cpu in E8500 t

... as you swapping out the components and performing a bios update at the same time. Its generally a good idea to make single changes...one at a time to help you determine the cause of the problem, if one comes up.

So, are you sure its a BIOS update problem? (meaning that the new components worked on the old BIOS version before you updated it) If so, then the next logical step is to apply the working version that you had previsouly.

thanks for reply.... how would i restore the old bios....plz advise.....

also when i put the new cpu in e8500 with old bios it wouldnt boot up or post and after searching internet i found that i need to update the bios which i did. Even with the old cpu E4500 it still doesnt post or beep. ive stripped it to basics just psu , 1 ram and cpu still nothing. Also tried a different psu still the same.

how would i restore the old bios....plz advise.....

In the same way you apply a new BIOS, you just apply the known working version that you had before all of these issues.

also when i put the new cpu in e8500 with old bios it wouldnt boot up or post and after searching internet i found that i need to update the bios which i did.

I hope that you would have gotten that information directly from the motherboard's/chipset vendor's website.

Even with the old cpu E4500 it still doesnt post or beep. ive stripped it to basics just psu , 1 ram and cpu still nothing. Also tried a different psu still the same.

If you apply the original BIOS update and you place all of the original components back as they were, then your motherboard should be able to boot up and pass the power on self-test. If you have problem after doing this, something else was affected by the upgrade that you performed.

the bios update was done through windows 7.... and i made a backup on the hard drive which i cannot access.....

all the usb ports work external graphics card fan spins and i still cannot get it to boot from usb stick or how would i do that.....blank screen.

You probably don't have a floppy but that would be the simplest way of re-flashing, assuming that the vendor's site has that floppy image.

If you can't boot with minimal hardware and the USB doesn't work and you have no floppy, I'm not sure what else to recommend.

You must be able to boot and access media to flash your bios.

ok thanks.

ive ordered a bios rom chip and it should be here soon.
ive taken the old one out and its has 8 pins and a notch on one side. the problem is i dont know which way dat goes ... sorry i should of remebred. any ideas which way it should go...
Thanks

45cm foxconn motherboard

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.