Hi

Apologies if this is in wrong section or has been covered before!

I had a prob with my hard drive and had to reformat. The only way i could access my hard disk was to take it from my laptop and put it into pc as a slave. From there i mananged to copy my docs to a dvd, just to be sure i copied it twice!. So i put my laptop back together and after re installing windows xp, se. I tried to copy my files back from the dvds. Some files copy and some dont........the same with the second dvd......although with different files. I get message
data error, cyclic redundancy. So i have 2 dvd,s with important info on which i cannot retrieve. I have tried it in two other pc's without success. It appears the files are there, just not readable. I have also downloaded and tried a prog called cdcheck.......without luck...........
before i give up...........is there anything else out there???
many thanks in advance for help

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Can you confirm this error on different DVD drives?

thanks for the reply
sadly yes i have tried them both in two other pc, dvd drives. However in windows explorer i can see the files, i can click the properties, i just cant open them or copy them or do anything!

thanks
Stiivi

In that case, I believe the DVDs were not burned properly, or the DVDs got scratched while in storage. I'm not too sure you can do anything about it now.

Hi,
This may be a liittle too late, but it may help someone else. I just joined.

There are a couple of programs out there that work with optical discs. They are ISOBuster, and Badcopypro. Their purpose is to recover raw data off CDs etc.

When windows sees something wrong, it give up right away. These programs continue to try various methods until success. ISOBuster is very highly rated.

I'm pretty sure, both have an evaluation mode before buying. I bought isobuster "just in case".

Good luck,
Packrat1947

In that case, I believe the DVDs were not burned properly, or the DVDs got scratched while in storage. I'm not too sure you can do anything about it now.

commented: Good find Packrat :) -'Stein +3

sorry to revive an old post. A cyclic redundancy check or CRC is a failure of Windows to read data from any cylindrical shaped object, CD's or hard drives for example. Basically, if it spins, is scratched or damaged, the chances of getting a CRC are moderate to high. It depends on the severity of the damage.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.