I'm still in the throws of making a decision regarding what board and processor to use...specifically, whether to go with a socket 754, or the 939. The first thing going through your mind when reading this is probably "what are you giong to use it for"? I'm not into games, but I will most likely wind up doing some video editing, and I will have a couple of CAD and electrical estimating programs, the rest will be fairly normal.
I know just enough about the two to be dangerous, and to realise that one of the key differences is the type of memory, I should at least tell you that I will be going with a Athlon processor. Which socket would you use, and why?
Remember...someday I could growup to be just like you!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I'm still in the throws of making a decision regarding what board and processor to use...specifically, whether to go with a socket 754, or the 939. The first thing going through your mind when reading this is probably "what are you giong to use it for"? I'm not into games, but I will most likely wind up doing some video editing, and I will have a couple of CAD and electrical estimating programs, the rest will be fairly normal.
I know just enough about the two to be dangerous, and to realise that one of the key differences is the type of memory, I should at least tell you that I will be going with a Athlon processor. Which socket would you use, and why?
Remember...someday I could growup to be just like you!

939. lot better in my opinion and much much newer.

939. lot better in my opinion and much much newer.

I can appreciate your opinion, ( doing my best Sergeant Frank Friday impression) but " we're just looking for the facts mam".

Both Socket 754 and Socket 939 motherboards use DDR RAM. That's not a difference at all.

Socket 939 motherboards use more advanced chipsets than Socket 754, and would suit the tasks you wish to perform better, if you plan to build an Athlon64 system.

Both Socket 754 and Socket 939 motherboards use DDR RAM. That's not a difference at all.

Socket 939 motherboards use more advanced chipsets than Socket 754, and would suit the tasks you wish to perform better, if you plan to build an Athlon64 system.

exactly what i was trying to say when i said 'newer' . i meant that the 939 boards use a newer chipset. i've got a sempron processor which uses the 939 board.:o occasionally i do get stuck for words:)

i've got a athlon 64 fx-55 (which is a socket 939) yep it is expensive but it does the job really well, both games and graphic programs, the 939 is newer as said by the others and the boards to go with them are fantastic, offering all the latest features lots of additional goodies and pretty much all the things you need like pci-e, sata 7.1 sound, "SLI" (if you want it) and the performance MB and of the cpu's are good i did have a 3500 chip and that was well priced and the performance was impressive, it would run photoshop cs really well
out of the two go for the 939 socket :)

From amdreview...

Socket 754 vs. 939:

Socket 754 CPU:
Single Channel Memory only
64bit DDR SDRAM at 100, 133, 166, and 200Mhz
Three DIMM's supported
800Mhz Hyper Transport Bus Speed
Runs hotter than socket 939 cpu's
Consumes more power than socket 939's

Socket 939 CPU:
Dual Channel Memory
128bit DDR SDRAM at 100, 133, 166, and 200Mhz
Four DIMM's supported
1000Mhz Hyper Transport Bus Speed
Runs cooler than socket 754 cpu's
Consumes less power than socket 754's

i've got a sempron processor which uses the 939 board.

Mmmm? A 939 Sempron? I have to wonder where you got one Janine - they're not available on the market yet, but there do seem to be a couple of "leaks".

Mmmm? A 939 Sempron? I have to wonder where you got one Janine - they're not available on the market yet, but there do seem to be a couple of "leaks".

Yeah it seems like there are leaks indeed.
take a look

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.