Help. I bought a HP scanjet 3970 and hooked it up to my G4 Mac, The scanner goes on when I start the computer but when I go to scan it does not seem to recognize the software. I cannot scan by using the buttons on the scanner either. It also will not allow me to change the preferences. Everything freezes. I had the scanner plugged in through a Belkin TetraHub but I got no response so I went directly through the Mac. Still nothing. I now also get a message when I power up that says "insert iomega disk" which I cancel. I have practically the same set-up at home with my laptop G4 and a different model HP scanner and works perfectly.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

Are you using Mac OS X, or Mac OS 9? I am assuming that this is connected via USB. I also wonder if you installed the software that came with the unit (you don't mention it).

Let us know.

Christian

You also might need to download the driver for the scanner. (go to the HP Website to find out about downloading drivers) its what i had to do when i bought my canon scanner, at first it would only work in classic 0.9.
i use my scanner through photoshop aswell.

Hello,

Are you using Mac OS X, or Mac OS 9? I am assuming that this is connected via USB. I also wonder if you installed the software that came with the unit (you don't mention it).

Let us know.

Christian

I am using OS 9 right now. And I used the software that came with the unit. I did not try to see if there was an update on the HP site.

We had exactly the same problem and are convinced it's horrible a bug of the latest HP drivers!

The solution we found was to completely uninstall the bugged 7.1.9 driver and replace it with the previous version 5.5.6 for 3900 Series!! (you can use the uninstall software located into the HP Imaging Software folder but should also manually delete any extension, preferences, help files, etc with the letters'HP' in their filename).

If you don't have access to the previous installer I could eventually send it to you (about 200MBytes).

Thank you H :P !

Philippe Lopatka
pumpkin Sarl - Apple Authorized Reseller - Nyon - Switzerland

Mon ami--

I am in a similar situation with my HP3970 scanner. Although the v7.1.9 driver was supposed to work with Mac OS9.2, it of course did not.
I have completed the uninstall of v7.1.9.
I am desperate to try the v5.5.6 driver to see if it will correct the situation.
If you can manage to forward v5.5.6 to me, I will be very grateful.

Merci--

gunter4033@yahoo.com

You wrote:
"The solution we found was to completely uninstall the bugged 7.1.9 driver and replace it with the previous version 5.5.6 for 3900 Series!! (you can use the uninstall software located into the HP Imaging Software folder but should also manually delete any extension, preferences, help files, etc with the letters'HP' in their filename).

"If you don't have access to the previous installer I could eventually send it to you (about 200MBytes)."

Thank you H :P !

Philippe Lopatka
pumpkin Sarl - Apple Authorized Reseller - Nyon - Switzerland

Hi,

I just bought a MacBook for my wife and when trying to install and work with hp scanjet 3970 i get same problems as tommy:
- installation goes ok ... but ...
- the application to make an image explore, doesn't make anything when switch it.
- and using the scaner buttons directly, it doesn't work either.

Looking at hp site i've not seen any reference to this problem.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
putxi

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.