I have created a network for my home for file and printer sharing on windows xp and when I put on my old work windows 2000 computer I restarted it and it wouldn't log on to windows so I thought the domain must be incorrect but it won't let me select a different one. I have no idea what to do. It turns out it used to log on to a work network but I have changed it to my own network. if I could just log on to windows I could change it back. there are important work files on the computer so I cannot reinstall windows. Also there is a 'windows 2000 recovery console' which I figured would be like system restore for xp but I don't Know how to use it and I may loose my files. Can I create an account on my home network to log on to the computer? Please help me as I am a bit of a novice in this area.

Thanks,
Sam

which is the intended server, which is the one that you can't log on to, at which point does it attempt to logon to a "work Network".
briefly, it's best that you DO NOT attempt the recovery console or system restore as your assumption is probably correct.
is the win2k machine using NTFS or FAT32?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.