Ok, so, the other day my computer was randomly shutting off. Opened the case, realized the cpu fan was dead, replaced. Then after the new fan was on, tried to turn on my computer, it came "on" but it didn't give the system beep and it didn't trigger my monitor and keyboard/mouse that the computer was on (none of them came on). So, thinking the bad fan crapped out the processor, we replaced the processor (even though it's intel and should be thermal protected). Still the same issue with coming "on" but not booting up or even system testing. Opened up the case, reseated the cpu fan, unhooked and rehooked all the connections to everything. IT WORKED! but only for one evening. Now this morning my computer is doing the same thing as before...no system beep, no trigger to the monitor...but the fans spin and so does the harddrive (from what i can tell/hear).

I'm frustrated and don't know what to think or do next. plz help.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Let's see if this method will help. Pull cmos battery out for 1 hr or more and clean it with cloth, and put it back in to its holder. Then start your computer.

So we took off the fan (we put the new processor in and used the replacement fan that we had bought earlier) and replaced it with the intel fan that came with the new processor. It boots up now...at least partially...it turns on, get a beep, and starts to boot up. Gets to where it should load Windows and turns off.

Any ideas now?

Enter the BIOS and set the default settings.
If it still refuses to load windows, try hitting F8 after you saw the bootscreen. Maybe you can boot it in safe mode. Maybe there's a small chance that you didn't install the heatsink right so the CPU chip is overheating.... In that case you should check that by running some kind of analyzing tool or maybe you can read the temperature in BIOS.

Im not sure weather this would help but I read somewhere something about thermal greese, did you reaply it after removing the processor or heatsink/fan. Im not really sure about this but it could be something that is causing this problem.

When you change heatsinks you MUST clean both surfaces on CPU and heatsink, and apply VERY THIN layer of thermal paste, and heatsink must be screwed or clamped on REAL TIGHT, otherwise the heat transmission from CPU to heatsink won't be sufficient to keep the CPU from overheating. That is why the smart thing to do is to closely monitor CPU temperature for couple of hours after heatsink change.

New CPU + heatsink (in a box) usually doesn't require any thermal paste, for the heatsink is equipped with fool-proof silicon (or something) and all you need is to fit them together. Not the case with customized CPU cooling.

Also make sure that when you installed the cpu the bios hasn't set the cpu temperature warning to something stupidly low. I've had that happen before.

Try This Too.
Take Out Ur Motherboard Out Of Ur Caseing ,isolate Ur Motherboard, Unscrew All Screws ,so That There May No Shorting With Chessis,if U Got Atx Powersocket, Try To Short Power Switch Pins By Some Small Metal Pins Or Etc. .may Be Ur Power Switch Or Reset Switch Has Been Stucked Of Short, Remove All Pci Cards ,like Internal Modem, Sound Card , Etc (if Any), Good Luck

Isolating motherboard, hmmm.... Definitely not a good idea for the permanent solution. Motherboards need grounding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.