newbie here....

I have a Dell dimension 2400. My old hard drive is IDE. I just bought a Western 250 gig SATA (stupid me....did not pay attention). Is there anyway I can use it on an IDE motherboard ? what is the best/cheapest way to convert ?
:eek:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

A SATA PCI Controller card is what you need. There are a number of brands/models available; the price range is about $20-$55 USD.

A SATA PCI Controller card is what you need. There are a number of brands/models available; the price range is about $20-$55 USD.

thank you. but i have another question. should i get the sata II card transfer at 3/sec or just regular sata card at 1.5/sec

If the drive supports the 3Gb/s rate, get a 3Gb/s controller; if the drive only supports the 1.5Gb/s rate, the choice is up to you. A 3Gb/s controller is backward-compatible with 1.5Gb/s devices, but it achieves that compatibility by running at the slower 1.5Gb rate; you won't get any performance benefit over a 1.5Gb controller when using a 1.5Gb/s drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.