Hello All:

This computer is in our store at our retail counter. After rebooting, IE comes up with a sex site and then pop up windows asking if you want to subscribe to a service and another asking if you want to download certain programs. We need to close these windows over and over....they keep popping up for about 4-6 times before they stop and everything is fine. But it does this everytime we reboot. Any suggestions much appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi Tami and welcome to DaniWeb! You obviously have spyware and/or adware on this computer. The first thing you should do is review this thread and do all the 'help yourself' stuff you can:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html

If you still have problems after that, download HiJackThis from here:
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/x-Download-5034.html

Put this in a permanent folder (like c:\hjt\hijackthis.exe), not a temp folder -- this allows it to save backups in case something goes wrong.

Scan with hijackthis, save the results, and post them in the Security forum along with details about the problems your still having.

Good luck!

Thanks a bunch for the reply....I am obviously just beginning to experience the whole "spyware" environment....I will attempt the procedures suggested and let you know...thanks again!

Scan with hijackthis, save the results, and post them in the Security forum along with details about the problems your still having.

Since this is definitely a spyware issue, I'll move this thread to Security now...

**My apologies for posting to the incorrect thread....I thought there might be other issues. *** As it turns out, there are many issues...I am getting many error messages and I am going through them one by one but regarding this issue....I loaded spybot and something else (my mind is cluttered at the moment) but the thing that seemed to really stop the pop-up windows from coming was Trojan Remover. However what still happens is that sites continue to get loaded in my favorites. I see that this has been posted once before so I will try to work this one out as well! Thanks for all the super help!

No problem with the mis-posting; it was your first post, and you may indeed have issues other than those caused by the spyware. If you can post the exect text of some of the error messages you're getting we can probably help you pinpoint the problem(s).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.