I have a Dell P4 running XP. I recently picked up a downloader.tooncom virus that is identified as an exploit in Windows Media Player. I have Norton Anti Virus Pro 2004 and Spybot and Pest Patrol, but none of them can remove this virus. Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of it? It seems to reside in the boot sector somewhere. I have done numerous scans with System Restore OFF, but to no avail.
Thanks in advance for any advice---Aero96

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

*edit* just noticed you tried that alread. :confused:

I have a Dell P4 running XP. I recently picked up a downloader.tooncom virus that is identified as an exploit in Windows Media Player. I have Norton Anti Virus Pro 2004 and Spybot and Pest Patrol, but none of them can remove this virus. Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of it? It seems to reside in the boot sector somewhere. I have done numerous scans with System Restore OFF, but to no avail.
Thanks in advance for any advice---Aero96

It's actually a Trojan, not a virus, and nearly all current anti-virus software can deal with it, including Norton (as pointed out on the Symantec site via Google), as well as the free version of Grisoft AVG. Make sure that your virus definition files are up-to-date, as it's only about a month old.

Thanks much for the referral. Unfortunately, I have done everything suggested on the Symantec web site but it hasn't cleared the problem yet. Occassionally, I also get a "runtime" error, with a message asking if I want to debug. Do you have any idea what this means? Thanks

2 aero
there is only one way to completely get rid of this troyan - run your computer in safe mode, after removing iedll.exe by your antivirus you have to remove loader.exe from windows folder and loader.pf from prefetch folder manually. enjoy:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.