Hey ALL !!!
I have a Windows ME computer. When I start it , it comes up on the "DELL" screen fine, then the Windows ME screen fine, but then it just goes black. The hour glass shows for a few seconds like it is trying to do something but then just stops. I can get into "Safe Mode" , no problem. It has Ad-Aware Personal on it and it only found some tracking cookies when I ran it. I put a thumb drive in the USB port so I could load HiJack This and Zone Alarm, and AVG, but the computer won't recognize the thumb drive while in Safe Mode. I'm stuck, can someone help me ?
Thank you for your help in advance !!!!!!!!

Hey ALL !!!
I have a Windows ME computer. When I start it , it comes up on the "DELL" screen fine, then the Windows ME screen fine, but then it just goes black. The hour glass shows for a few seconds like it is trying to do something but then just stops. I can get into "Safe Mode" , no problem. It has Ad-Aware Personal on it and it only found some tracking cookies when I ran it. I put a thumb drive in the USB port so I could load HiJack This and Zone Alarm, and AVG, but the computer won't recognize the thumb drive while in Safe Mode. I'm stuck, can someone help me ?
Thank you for your help in advance !!!!!!!!

Just for an update on things that I've tried to do so far, here it is
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/705020-windows-me-black-screen-2.html#post5798441

Just for an update on things that I've tried to do so far, here it is
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-95-98-me/705020-windows-me-black-screen-2.html#post5798441

OK....it's fixed. Here is what I had ot do to get it fixed. I went to this websight and did the following.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/273738

Here is the solution that worked:
The Boot B Option
If Windows Me starts normally when you use the Boot B option, there is a problem with the System.ini file. The problem is most likely in the [386Enh] section of the original System.ini file.

To find the line in the System.ini file that is causing the problem: 1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Click Process System.ini file on the General tab to restore the original file.
3. Double-click the 386Enh folder on the System.ini tab.
4. Click to clear each check box that does not have a Windows flag next to it.
If Windows Me starts normally, there is a driver loading from the 386Enh folder that is causing the problem.

If Windows Me does not start normally, click to clear the remaining check boxes on the System.ini tab, one at a time, starting with the Boot folder. Restart your computer after you click to clear each check box. When the problem returns, the last check box that you selected is loading a driver that is preventing Windows Me from starting normally.

NOTE: If Windows Me starts normally after you click to clear the display.drv=pnpdrvr.drv check box, there is a problem with the display driver.
I went to device manager and deleted the display driver and reinstalled it......problem solved !!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.