Yesterday, I saved some files from work on my thumb drive to use later that afternoon. While I was attempting to move them to my home computer, I opened My Computer, D drive (not my C drive which is my boot drive) and the G drive (thumb drive) on Windows XP to move the files. On my first attempt, all of my open windows closed on me. I thought that was odd, but I tried again and successfully moved the files from the drive. Immediately after I moved the files, my computer rebooted.

I am running Windows XP with SP 2, and I have Norton Antivirus 2004 with the latest updates. I recently ran a scan of my computer and it did not find any viruses.

Once the computer rebooted, my D drive did not show, so I shut the computer down, opened it up to check on my cables. Everything was OK. I turned the computer on again and it recognized my D Drive. I hit F1 to save the information and the computer started. However, as soon as the Windows logo appeared, the computer would reboot. The funny thing is it shows a "blue screen", but I can't read the information in it because it reboots right at the moment the screen shows.

I powered down the computer, disconnected the D drive, and the computer boots fine. I don't know what is happening, but I would like to slavage my information on my D drive.

Please help!!! :sad: :eek:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

run hijackthis, click scan, save log, and then paste it in here.

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

It sounds more like a hard drive failure though.

I would agree with you on the hard drive failure, but the hard drive is only 4 months old. I tried to run your program, but when I plug the drive back in, the computer keeps rebooting again.

any funny noises from it?
have you tried the diagnostics tools from the manufacturer?

any funny noises from it?
have you tried the diagnostics tools from the manufacturer?

I wish I could get to the disk. I can't even go to safe mode without looping over and over. Any ideas how to go to the DOS Prompt. When I hit F8, it does not give me that option under Windows XP.

you need to get a boot disk, that will enable you to boot to a DOS prompt.
Other than that your manufacturers diagnostic tools will often be a boot disk by themselves.

Thanks all for the help. I found out what was causing the problem. I have Norton Go-Back and my computer and somehow it got corrupted and would not allow me to use my D drive. I stopped it from loading and all is well!!!

lol that's Norton for you...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.