jbrinn 0 Newbie Poster

Hi all!
I original posted my problem under win xp, (see below) because that was the screen I would get to before auto shutdown. I thought I had somehow lost or deleted my xp program in my last security suite scan done in safe mode? Now unfortunately I think my problem is much nastier. I have no proof but I think somehow this trojan damaged my ability to connect to the hard drive!!! I can not even get into a safe mode. It's either that or it somehow damaged my CDROM drives. It's as if I have all the software and hardware I need, but no plug in between to connect the two? I've tried rebooting or a reinstall of every recovery disk I have and some of my neighbors. I tried the last tech's suggestion to boot a linux live and GParted cd, but they all come back saying one of these two errors:
"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll Please reinstall."
"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware. Please check the Windows documentation about Hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."
I've pulled out my Dell manuals and lets just say it's about as in depth as a calculator manual. I do not have any windows documentation (it came pre-installed on the Dell) all I got was the reinstalation disks. The only other computer I have access to runs Firefox, so if I go to microsoft for info it deny's me access unless I download. It's my work computer so I'm blocked from downloading anything (probably a good idea on my companies part, considering my current luck) LOL.
take a look at my prior post below.....maybe I'm missing something important.
Any ideas from anyone? AT&T, my ISP security suite , said they would call me back in 48 hours but I really don't think I want them touching it again!
:@

Original post: 6/6/08
I'm a new user in desperate need of help!
I have a Dell Deminsion 2350 with windows XP.
I recently upgraded to DSL 6.0 along with adding my ISP's security suite.
I have no trouble deleting spyware, adware etc... yet my 6.0 runs at dial up speed!
I do have one virus "trojan/win32.ata" that I delete every day but it keeps coming back.
That is what I told my ISP tech when I called to complain about paying so much for a service that was doing nothing to stop this virus
Here's what they did and what I'm left with....

turned off "automatic restore" in my computer properties
ran a test in safe mode, 6.0 worked perfectly there.
Did full virus/ spyware scan in safe mode.
Scan automatically deleted any problems it found....
No idea what it deleted ...scan results uses flash player...flash will not run in safe mode.
Logged out of safe mode, turned computer off. Turned it back on to log into regular XP.
Computer turned off on its own and a blue screen: fatal system error C000021a appeared.
Tech went back to safe mode, got fatal error screen there too
Used operating system restore disk win XP: could not restore / repair.
tried to install XP as new, said could not copy about 200 files off disc, at the end of install it gave error: windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system 32\hal.dll Please reinstall. It's been used once before so I'm pretty sure it's not corupt, and it's not dirty or scratched. at this point, isp tech abandoned me saying call Dell!
Well thanks for crashing my computer you idiot, a slow coputer is better than none at all! UGH!

Dell tested my drives: results were:
IDE Drive Diagnostics: Primary IDE WDC-WD600BB-75CAAO Drive 0ass; Drive 1: No IDE device;
Secondary IDE CDROM drive 2: Diagnostics not supported; Drive 3 HL-DT-STGCE-8400B Diagnostics not supported.
F10 boot to utility Partition...quick test came back with Driver Error....
F10 ran advanced on-board IDE controller test: IDE hard disk passed; IDE CDROM & CDRW both failed.
At this point dell tech told me my options were: pay them for new xp disc, and see if that works...maybe it's just a corrupted disc. they thought it was more likely that I need a new hard drive...plus I would have to buy a backup hard drive to save the stuff on my C drive. Plus the geek squad to install if I can't figure it out on my own!

So my ISP says it's a software problem. Dell says it's a hardware problem. Now I'm confused!
I fail to see why I could not just load a brand new XP to my unpartitioned space. I'd have to figure out how to move 1600 MB from my partitioned c drive to my unpartitioned space, but I still don't see why it could not be done. Dell told me if loaded a new XP it would erase my current c drive, so I would stilll have to buy a backup harddrive. I have no idea if either of these tech's are telling me the correct thing. Does any one have any ideas what my next step should be?

Thanks in advance
Jo