Hi,

This is my first post.

I've read the posting rules and I have came up with some issues.

My system is so messed up that it will not allow me to access any download links or websites such as eset.com, Hijackthis, atf-cleaner, and/or deckard's system scanner. NONE of them!! :'(

When I click on the download link or try to right click and save any of those programs or pages i get a page load error stating firefox cannot connect to the server. This happens with all programs that can potential clean my computer.

I have no problem accessing most sites, maily social networks, but when i search for help with this virus/malware issue, ill find good links but then immediately get redirected.

Everything started with 'Antivirus2009'. I thought I had it completely wiped but I still get very laggy internet browsing sometimes, and all the issues above that I stated.

I don't mind the option of wiping my drive, but I can't get my XP install disc to boot from startup. I editted the boot order in bios for the CD to boot first and still it wont.

Any input would be appriciated!

Thanks,
Jon

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

some additional info:

HP dv6000
XP SP3 v.2008
Threatfire Security Software

and i noticed in my device manager i have yellow question marks pertaining to:

Base System Device (x3)
Modem Device on High Audio Bus

Thanks.
Jon

Hi,

This is my first post.

I've read the posting rules and I have came up with some issues.

My system is so messed up that it will not allow me to access any download links or websites such as eset.com, Hijackthis, atf-cleaner, and/or deckard's system scanner. NONE of them!! :'(

When I click on the download link or try to right click and save any of those programs or pages i get a page load error stating firefox cannot connect to the server. This happens with all programs that can potential clean my computer.

I have no problem accessing most sites, maily social networks, but when i search for help with this virus/malware issue, ill find good links but then immediately get redirected.

Everything started with 'Antivirus2009'. I thought I had it completely wiped but I still get very laggy internet browsing sometimes, and all the issues above that I stated.

I don't mind the option of wiping my drive, but I can't get my XP install disc to boot from startup. I editted the boot order in bios for the CD to boot first and still it wont.

Any input would be appriciated!

Thanks,
Jon

Just a thought, but if you are being redirected you may want to check the HOST file on your PC. Should look something like:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

This file can be found on XP/2000 C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Additionally, when you say it wont boot from a CD what happens? Do you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." message?

issue 1..
i had deleted the host file as i was mis informed by a different forum to do so. however i did find some info on replacing it. i downloaded hostxpert and had the file recreated and opened it and it looks just like the report u previously posted above.

*issue 2..
and when i restart my computer with the xp cd inserted; it does NOT give me the option to boot from cd, nor does it say "to boot from cd press any key" dialogue at any time.

sorry such a newb...

but when i went to that directory (etc) all thats listed are the files: host backups (5), lmhosts, networks, protocol, serivices.

and when i restart my computer with the xp cd inserted; it does NOT give me the option to boot from cd, nor does it say "to boot from cd press any key" dialogue at any time.

"issue 1..
i had deleted the host file as i was mis informed by a different forum to do so."

Be very careful when deleting files!! Always backup!

Now that you have created a new HOST file, I take it your still get redirected?

OK - just double check that you have set the boot order in the BIOS. Let me clarify as to what I said before - Not all systems will show the "Press any key to boot from CD..." message, so dont worry.

Usually, if you see the "Press any key to boot from CD..." message, you have a number of seconds to press any key otherwise the system will try boot from the hard drive,etc.

Does the system try and boot from the hard drive or does it attempt to boot from the CD?

yeah im still getting redirected..

i've double checked multiple times that ive changed the boot order. and it will boot from the hard drive first no matter what. i get no option to 'press any key to boot cd' as you mentioned.

yeah im still getting redirected..

i've double checked multiple times that ive changed the boot order. and it will boot from the hard drive first no matter what. i get no option to 'press any key to boot cd' as you mentioned.

OK - You do get some BIOS which will only boot from a master drive. Try disabling the HDD as a boot option (depending on your BIOS settings).

Do you know what motherboard you have e.g. ASUS M2N68?

Oh, going back to the VIRUS part of your prob - You can attampt to reslove this by downloading HJTsetup.exe from maybe another PC onto a CD.

* Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
* Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
* By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
* Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
* Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
* Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
* At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
* Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
* Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
* Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
* DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

sorry havent responded ina while in the middle of moving...tomorrow ill be able to burn HIjackthis and get a log posted..but for now..

i was able to find the actual location of the virus that i downloaded..wondering if someone could DL and diagnose the type of infection i have..

http://www.freeserials.ws/sn/70256.html

i was trying to get a key gen for photoshop cs2 :P

tytyty

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.