Hi,
We have an office of over 150 employees
on several occasions i have had to reinstall windows XP Pro on PC's,
Due to an infinity boot loop - we use AVG as our antivirus and today after updating AVG to 8.5 it began to run a virus scan - upon completion the scan required a restart - The employee clicked on yes and ever since then the computer seems to stick at the windows XP loading screen the same as the other users used to get before i reinstalled windows.

I was wondering is there any way i cant sort this rather than have to reinstall windows xp because the user always loses there files.

Tryed to put the HDD into a another computer as a secondry hard drive but it just said the disk is corrupted and unreadable.

Thanks,
David

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

just use safe mode and disable avg 8.5 by typing msconfig at the run command or use sytem restore from within safe mode. hope this helps

Did you restart your computer manually when your Windows
was taking time loading and see if its loading successfully?

If your windows is still taking time to load even after restarting it
several times manually,then the avg software must be loading and causing this problem. Wait for around 20 minutes and see if it
loads properly.
If that doesnot work then, boot your computer in safe mode and
disable this avg anti-virus.

Did you restart your computer manually when your Windows
was taking time loading and see if its loading successfully?

If your windows is still taking time to load even after restarting it
several times manually,then the avg software must be loading and causing this problem. Wait for around 20 minutes and see if it
loads properly.
If that doesnot work then, boot your computer in safe mode and
disable this avg anti-virus.

The computer doesnt even boot up in safe mode so i cant disable this.

How much is your RAM and CPU?

How many RAM chips do you have in your Computer?
Just remove 1 RAM chip and boot your computer and see if it loads
completely within less time.
If this doesnot do the job, then put this RAM chip back into the computer and remove the other one and try booting your computer again in normal mode.

Return with the results

The computer doesnt even boot up in safe mode so i cant disable this.

I installed a antivirus[Rising] program on a computer last week and it went into a loop .couldn't get into safe mode either, so i used a Linux Live CD to delete the rising .exe ,so it would no linger run at start up and cause the loop !
live linux .
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

The RAM is one stick of 2GB im sure,
Iv already reinstalled windows and all files were lost,
I will notify you if this happens again.

Thanks for the useful link.

I don't think reinstall of windows will do any job.
If he is not interested to use the link of knoppix,then
He has to format the partition and install a fresh windows.

Or the other option is to put this hard drive in another computer
as a secondary and just go to its program folder and remove
the anti-virus from there.

Hi,
We tryed the HDD in a secondry computer and it says it was corrupt.

Hi,
We tryed the HDD in a secondry computer and it says it was corrupt.

Some freindly advice for the future:

Get rid of avg! it's a shocking program that causes more hassles than it stops, it's not really a serious antivirus! With 150 comp's you should be able to get nod32 at a good rate.

Second piece of advice is: the hard drive guru's find and mount.

I have used this free program a number of times and have been able to recover customers files from hard drives with corrupted file tables, I'm a lazy tech and just love nifty little programs like these that save my valuable time.

Put the drive back where you got it, I mean back into that computer.
Remove usb devices and network cables.
The only things attached are the mouse/keyboard/Monitor cable.

If you boot from a network, this will not work because you have removed the cables, put the network cables back in if this = True)

Start computer. go to bios open cd tray. remove any disks.
Check your boot settings > CD/DVD=0, Hdd=1 Disabled =2
Other = None
Save and exit

It may take about 3 minutes to boot to desktop. If you get to desktop then don't do anything. Just Sart > Shutdown. Wait 30 seconds. Start up and you are all done. Shut down. reconnect your cables and usb devices or whatever other external devices you had.
You are good to go.

If this does not resolve the problem, let me know becaus I have other solutions (I just haven't thought of them yet!).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.