Microsoft has a Beta version of their own Anti-spyware product available for download. (You'll need to use Internet Explorer to download the thing, I'm afraid)

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

I'm interested to hear the experiences of anyone who has used it. How does it compare to the likes of AdAware and Spybot for ease of use? How does it compare for effectiveness?

What other matters are worth commenting about in relation to the product?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I just installed it to-say nad unlike ad-aware and spybot .it can run in the sys tray and run a watch like spywareguard .so far it seems ok
Before i installed it i ran ad-aware pro ,full scan cleaned all ,then install microsoft and it found 2 more references something called SearchSquire .in the registry ,and 1 crack spider in 5 different ones from Crack sites hanging around in my links from earlier years . I has Autoupdates and something called advanced tools that looks interesting and gives lots of control.worth a install just to have a look .i have it setup to run in realtime right along spywareguard and norton antiviri .seems to be behaving ok

just one more

Regarding weatherbug's minibug active X component;

The "Minibug" component, which is the ad-serving component of WeatherBug, was classified as low-risk, and the Microsoft Spyware default is set to ignore it.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1749409,00.asp

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/01/microsoft_antispyware.html

got to love microsft !
I just had some problems opening links ,but it ifxed it self .not sure if related ,but when they get the bugs out it should be a good program .it shows startup idems ,running processes and BHO,activeXs' installed and give one clik button to stop any .
one thing i noticed was when i first opened IE i had to click on a pop up warning to allow it because it saw it a being possiable spyware ,so i said yes ,maybe the ones who had it delete IE said NO !

Did you read my 2nd post caperjack?

Did you read my 2nd post caperjack?

Yes ,just did ,actually ad-aware and spybot both had simular problems with some company they considered to be spyware .

I would be suspicious from now of the M$ product, because if one company can twist their arm to have their product removed from the definitions, then who knows how many more can???

I would be suspicious from now of the M$ product, because if one company can twist their arm to have their product removed from the definitions, then who knows how many more can???

good point !
About the program ,with it you has the abiility to remove everything that we have people remove with hijackthis , .like BHOs' ,programs that startup,running processes ,016.activeXs' with out doing a scan just go to the section of the program Advanced tools. I think it will become a popular spyware removal tool ,it also has autoupdates ,im running it now just for the heck of it ,not promoting its use just playing around !I think I might be looking for a excuse to Format and realod my OS.

still playing with the program ,found it will show you host file and wether it bad and also LSPs if something is bad with it,I really think that microsoft is headding in the right direction with this program ,it covers all the places where the known spyware is hidden/or affecting / .

As it should, caperjack. After all, it is their Operating System! :D.

As it should, caperjack. After all, it is their Operating System! :D.

I agree .so who better to build a spyware blocker !:)

The problem how I see it is that we Windows users rely on 3rd party applications to secure our information. Why? Because M$ has done such a lousy job.
It looks to me like they cannot fill the holes fast enough, so they have to buy out another company and utilise their program to clean out the backwash :D. Can we trust an M$ security product??
If Windows were built with security in mind, there would be no need for the extraneous stuff.

The problem how I see it is that we Windows users rely on 3rd party applications to secure our information. Why? Because M$ has done such a lousy job.
It looks to me like they cannot fill the holes fast enough, so they have to buy out another company and utilise their program to clean out the backwash :D. Can we trust an M$ security product??
If Windows were built with security in mind, there would be no need for the extraneous stuff.

True enough !

Thanks for the comments so far, people. I'll get a chance to try it out myself sometime in the next day or two, soon as I get out of 'camping & fishing' mode ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.