my operating system is win98 2nd ed.

Like many other's, my IE6 has been hijacked by res://mshp.dll/index.html#10213. But when I try to go to any different URLs I get the IE error message that says

This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

EXPLORER executed an invalid instruction in module APPKU32.DLL at 017f: 01e2449a.

All the solutions to the res: problem that I've seen involve downloading a program to that computer. But I can't even access the internet from my laptop to download anything. I had to use my friend's computer just to be able to post. Does anyone know exactly what registry keys and files to look for so I can remove the problems "manually" in safe mode? I'm really new at this and I didn't even know what registry keys were until I started having this problem.

thanks in advance for help and input

Like many other's, my IE6 has been hijacked by

<snip>

All the solutions to the res: problem that I've seen involve downloading a program to that computer. But I can't even access the internet from my laptop to download anything. I had to use my friend's computer just to be able to post. Does anyone know exactly what registry keys and files to look for so I can remove the problems "manually" in safe mode? I'm really new at this and I didn't even know what registry keys were until I started having this problem.

thanks in advance for help and input

"Like many others", eh?

If you cannot boot your system into normal mode, but you have access to another system, can you just burn the needed programs to CD, or copy them to a floppy? You should be able to run them in safe mode once you've got them downloaded.

Additionally, MSCONFIG works really well for disabling items in 98. Boot to Safe mode in 98, click on start, then Run, then punch in msconfig, and click OK. Click on the startup tab, and then click "Disable All". Click OK, then restart, and you should be able to at least get into Windows in Normal mode to do what you need to do. After running some type of spyware scanner or something, be sure to go back into MSCONFIG and enable what's left in there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.