Basically when I open the internet on the computer it goes to a page cannot be displayed, I'm not entirely sure about what caused it to do this as I really don't use that computer. But I tried to use MBAM but it won't open, I've tried Hijackthis also but since I can't open the internet I can't send you a log report..frankly I'm at a loss as to what I should do...any help much appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi,

Is the browser being redirected pages when you load it up?Or is it just not loading the web page?

If its the first you have some type of spyware or adware. You should run spybot search and destroy or maleware bytes to take care of it. But be careful not erase important files files, sometimes these programs will detect files that are not actually harmful. If you have time, read over the help files and make a backup/restore spot.

If its the second, then something is wrong with your connection to the internet. Which I'm not sure of a simple solution to try in order to fix it.

Let us know and we can try some tests in order to figure it out.

check your connection by going into
command prompt: Type ping and then type in yahoo.com

if your losing packets at that exact time then your losing connection that is my guess if your page cannot be displayed

Have you checked your ip/dns settings? They play a crucial role in displaying internet pages.
I have had an issue like yours before that was caused from the wireless router being unplugged by mistake. After plugging it back in I found that the wireless clients on my network had a strong connection to the router, but would be directed to the page cannot display error. After a bit of trial and error procedures, I concluded that the DNS server was not being properly addressed by the wireless adapter(s) as well as the LAN lines on particular computers. Here's how I fixed it:

To ensure DHCP, or "obtain IP address automatically" is set on:
1. First go to your LAN or W/L controller, whichever is enabled, to look at it's status to see what the DNS server address is.
(Control Panel ---> Network Connections---> R Click on the enabled LAN controller----> From the support tab click on details)
From there you can see your DNS address(es). I find it easiest to move THAT window to the right side of the screen, as opposed to writing the address down.

2. Second step is fairly similar. THis is where you will change your default DNS address (I had three addresses displayed and I entered each one in):
(Control Panel ---> Network Connections---> R Click on enabled LAN controller(same one)----> Properties----> Highlight TCP/IP and click properties, from the properties page click on advanced ----> DNS tab ----> click on Add, then input the DNS address displayed in the "status" window that you opened first)

3. Click "OK" on all opened screens pertaining to the Net Settings and then try to go online. I use google to open to, it's plain and simple and in turn loads rather quickly.

You can select the same options that I have selected in my screen shots (#3), but the fact is that I'm really not sure what they do. What I do know is, they work for me! If this does not work, then let me know, I have another trick or two up y sleeve, but I think that this will be your answer. -David <snip>[EMAIL=[/EMAIL]</snip>

Okay well, thanks for all the help so far guys. The internet is plugged in correctly as I can still get on AIM and such things, and I tried the IP thing but it didn't do anything to fix the problem, I think Matt was dead on with the spyware because all tries to run malware and search and destroy programs all end up in them failing to launch. I tried renaming them also...Any more suggestions would be appreciated

Dang, I have a couple more recommendations that might help, however petty they may seem, sometimes it's the most obvious that slips past us. The possibility of having some kind of infection is good, Im sure. I dont have really any experience with anti-spyware/virus programs other than bad ones (like McAfee's constant system scan evry 15 minutes, grrr).
Have you tried:

Dumping your ISP? :twisted:

(iexplorer) tools ---> internet options ---> connections tab ---> LAN settings ---> auto detect?
or
typing in a specific known good address into the address bar?
or
AVG or spybot
At any rate, I think that you may find this pdf interesting, if not useful. It's called the tweaking companion and it explans how you can optimize your system for the best performance. GL
Heres the attached pdf and a link to their site, if you wanted to check it out..
http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Hey,

Have you tried running the antimalware/spyware programs in windows safe mode? I believe safe mode boots up windows without booting other programs, so in theory if there is a nasty on your computer then it shouldn't boot up in safe mode and therefore you should be able to run the scanning applications in safe mode.

guys i had the same problem and post #4 is correct, the trojan changes the DNS servers to point 85.xx.x.x. you can either manually change these or download a prog called Trojan Remover 6.9 and this does it for you. this is only a trial version...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Trojan-Remover.shtml

see how that goes...

It is time some actual clean up steps and scans be run so we can actually determine what is happening on the computer. The steps below are those always recommended here.

Please follow these steps and post back with requested logs...when you post back please Copy/Paste logs do not attach them. We prefer not to open attachments here.

Please Download ATF-Cleaner.exe by Atribune(Windows XP, 2K, 2003 & Vista ONLY)

• You can put ATF-Cleaner on your Desktop for easy access.
RUN ATF-Cleaner.exe.

-- Click on ATF-Cleaner to run it
-- Where it says Select Files To Delete, Check the Select All Option
-- Click Empty Selected > OK

If you use Firefox browser, do this also:

* Click Firefox at the top and choose Select All from the list.
* Click the Empty Selected button.
* NOTE : If you would like to keep your saved passwords, click No at the prompt.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBA-M) to your Desktop.

* DoubleClick mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install MBA-M.
* Be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When MBA-M finishes, Notepad will open with the log. Please save it where you can find it easily. The log can also be opened by going to Start > All Programs > Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware > Logs > log-date.txt.

REBOOT the computer

Download HiJackThis
Double click the program. Run a Full System Scan and Save the log.
Post back here with the MBA-M log and the HJT log.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.