I had gotten hotoffers.info last night, and after 2 hours of running programs like hijack this, cwshredder, ad-aware, Norton, etc., etc., etc., and none of it working, I FINALLY came across a solution that worked.
:!: Warning: BIG SMACK ON HEAD AHEAD :!:
On the bottom of the page on http://www.hotoffers.info/179/index.html is a link labelled "uninstall info". I clicked it and it lead me to this page: http://www.hotoffers.info/uninstall/index.html. Here's what it said:
How to uninstall?
1. You need to save file uninstall.exe from our server.
2. You need to launch this file.
3. Then open regedit.exe in your Windows directory. And find HKEY_CURRENT_USER "Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\UninstallHP.
4. Now please delete UninstallHP folder.
5. Now please write in your command field: regsvr32 /u popup_bl.dll
6. Press OK. You're free of this trojan!
I downloaded the file (I uploaded it in thread "Another HotOffers Hijack (HJT log incl)" page 2, and it's not letting me upload it again) and ran the file. My Windows went blank, so I had to reboot. After I rebooted, it wasn't changing my homepage anymore. I didn't even need to follow the other steps (although I might, now that I think of it, just to make sure it's ALL gone). I only tried this once and it worked. I'm not interested in getting the trojan again to see if this works every time, so please reply to this post to let me know if it worked for you so that I can feel good about doing my good deed for the day. :cheesy:
Who would have known that actually paying attention to what was on these stupid ad pages would have been at all beneficial? ;)