My free trial with Panda Antivirus Platinum is twenty two days away from expiring, and I'm not 100% sold on them, there were some less than satisfactory events. I have a grand total of six months experience with my home computer, so I'm going to have to rely on our comunity for some advise. I realize that it may be difficult to get a non-biased answer here, but I'm looking for recommendations about antivirus providers. What kind of prices are normal, and for how long? What about the freebees like AVG? I have about three weeks to make a choice, so any and all help would be very much appreciated. Thanks...dcc

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

AVG free edition is perfectly adequate for home or single PC installation and use.

I like Kaspersky. Excellent security, easy to use, and good performance.
Not the cheapest but certainly one of the best.

I had Panda before and was happy with it but had trouble getting my account extended and customer (and even sales) support was completely unresponsive.

Hi guys...Thanks for the information and suggestions, I will check these out. It would appear that I'm not the only one who took issue with Pandas lack of customer support.

Try the Anti-Virus from , it comes with a professional Anti-Spyware and updates itself automatically (free for 1 year) and it scans in the background - using less resources than most!
If it finds a virus it brings up a hazard sign and a siren sounds - v cool :-)
I use it because it managed to install on my infected PC (when Norton and McAfee wouldn't) and it found the virus straight away plus it has kept my PC clean since. Get it at or
Hope this helps!

Ive been using BitDefender for a while now. I like it. Its the first all-in-one Ive ever used.
Before that I used Avast and Ad-aware with Sygate Firewall.

I like to stay away from the resource hogs such as Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, Panda etc! (even AVG has become this way, much to my dissappointment)
Also avoid security suites as a whole for pretty much the same reasons.
My personal choice remains the same after years of testing, for use with both XP and Vista.....and for the best part its the best 'beggarware', ooops sorry, 'freeware', available on the market. Even better than most paying AV software......Avast Home Edition available here

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Avast_Home_Edition_d1968.html

It contains two GUI user interfaces, a resource friendly 'footprint', has an audible voice warning system, a mindblowing virus database (without the false positives) and updates regularly in audible format......"virus database has been updated" in that lovely American overtone!

As i said, Its Vista compatible and works a treat! :cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.