Hey folks,

I've been struggling with this PC for the last two days. I cant install or uninstall any programs. My virus scan (McAfee) and the whole internet secuirty suite isn't operating properly. When I first logon, the task manager indicates that McAfee is using all available "CPU" resources. And the computer is obviously slow to respond to inputs. After I End process that, I'm able to access internet, word, other programs, etc. But if I try to open virus scan no window opens but in my task manager i can see that mcagent is running but i have no interface. I tried downloading AVG7 but i couldn't install it because the install/setup window won't open either. :( When i tried to uninstall Mcafee from the control panel same thing the window would'nt open but in my task manger RUNDLL32.exe is running and consuming resources. :mad:

Please help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I tried to post a hijackthis log, but when i run hijackthis i get an error that says "invalid picture". I ran spybot S&D and that removed a number of nasties. But HJT wont work. Please help

What OS are you using? If you have System Restore available, try using that to return your system to a date before you started having problems.

Try running HijackThis from Safe Mode; we won't get a complete picture that way, but at least a starting point.

I'm running XP pro. I tried a system restore point, but it would not restore. I tried running hijackThis in Safe Mode, but it gave me the same errors. also, McAfee virus scan did the same thing.

I downloaded a trial of Norton 2005, but it says "C:\DOCUME~1\Jared\LOCALS~1\Temp\NAV" folder is not accessible. When it try to install it. Then it says it cannot find 'NAVSetup.exe'. It does this in regular startup and safe mode

What OS are you using? If you have System Restore available, try using that to return your system to a date before you started having problems.

Try running HijackThis from Safe Mode; we won't get a complete picture that way, but at least a starting point.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.