Yesterday I kept getting restricted site messages and redirects. I have McAfee anti virus and did several full scans that revealed nothing. Today I can't get past the welcome screen. When I click on it, it says logging off. From everything I have read, it appears to be a trojan...but how do I remove it? I don't have recovery or windows disks to use. I bought the laptop used. I am using a friends computer to send this message...HELP!! I have wasted all day trying to fix this thing. I can't even get it to reboot and read a CD...

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I can't even get it to reboot and read a CD...

Hi Jo,

Sounds like quite a mess.

If you cannot get the machine to boot, I doubt there is much we can do to help.

-- Are you able to boot to Safe Mode? (Tap F8 upon restart)
-- Have you tried a bootable disk?

Without either of those options being available, your best option might be a repair shop.

Cheers :)
PP

Yesterday I kept getting restricted site messages and redirects. I have McAfee anti virus and did several full scans that revealed nothing. Today I can't get past the welcome screen. When I click on it, it says logging off. From everything I have read, it appears to be a trojan...but how do I remove it? I don't have recovery or windows disks to use. I bought the laptop used. I am using a friends computer to send this message...HELP!! I have wasted all day trying to fix this thing. I can't even get it to reboot and read a CD...

You can go to safe boot. Then to registers and remove all what is in run and runonce for profile and machine.
Also download a portable antivirus application and run it on your computer in safe boot. Just in case do it with at least two from different vendors.

If you able to boot to the "safe" Windows, then google from somewhere this: registers regedit run runonce how to

You can go to safe boot. Then to registers and remove all what is in run and runonce for profile and machine.
Also download a portable antivirus application and run it on your computer in safe boot. Just in case do it with at least two from different vendors.

If you able to boot to the "safe" Windows, then google from somewhere this: registers regedit run runonce how to

I can't boot in safe mode, don't know why. I ran Avira Antivir Rescue System from a CD and it found 3 Trojans and removed them but now windows won't load at all. It appears that it is going to but a blue screen with some words on it pops up but goes away too quickly for me to see what it says and then it attempts to load again...just does this over and over. Is there something kind of software I can get to repair my laptop or is it destroyed?

Is there something kind of software I can get to repair my laptop or is it destroyed?

-- Do you have your Windows Disk?
You can use that or a bootable rescue disc (or burn an ISO of recovery console) to boot to recovery console and try the fixmbr command to fix your compy's master boot record.

If the Avira tool does not have this option, try http://www.hirensbootcd.net/

If you have your windows disk, then there are some repair options available to you if your system is not too badly compromised.

See if fixmbr returns it to a bootable state.

Best Luck :)
PP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.