The Firefox browser flashes randomly and turns the web page black until you double click the program icon repeatedly. Then the web page comes back. It can happen a few times in a 15 minute period.
When this happens I can not see any website because it turns black. I am running Firefox 3.6.3 and tried to just reinstall it but no luck. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Have you tried running Firefox in the Firefox safe mode...without any add-ons? Do you have any themes installed?

Here is exact advice given on Firefox Help

Poorly designed or incompatible extensions can cause problems with your browser, including make it crash, slow down page display, etc. If you encounter strange problems relating to parts of the browser no longer working, the browser not starting, windows with strange or distorted appearance, degraded performance, etc, you may be suffering from Extension or Theme trouble. Restart the browser in Safe Mode.
When started in Safe Mode all extensions are disabled and the Default theme is used.

You then have to re-enable one at a time to see what may be causing the problems. Add one, if all works well leave that one on and add the next and so on. If it IS an extension/theme/add-on then once you add that problem item you should have your same scenario of flashing and black pages and you will know which one is causing the problems.
Also, is your Java up to date? Current version is 6 update 20.

Going to safe mode. Have only the default theme. I never play with that stuff. I have a few extensions and disabled 1 plug-in. SAFE MODE check now.

jolland1964:
I played with the info you sent, themes are only default I have no others.
I disabled a lot of other plug-ins. I am now faced with a Flashing Windwos Explorer, also. I think something is corrupt and things are not working correctly. Winword 2000 will not load and I reinstalled OFFICE 2000 twice. I use 2000 at work so to keep compatible I use it at home on this computer I have 2 copies of MS Office 2007 on other laptops.
Are you okay with giving me a phone number so we can cut the back and forth emails from 3-4 days down to 1 or less? If not emails are okay.
DaniWeb4Jim

Sorry Jim. No phone calls.
While this link applies to XP sounds similar to your problem.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;816375#appliesto

Also is this a laptop? If so try this:
1. Start
2. Control Panel
3. All Control Panel items
4. Power Options
5. Edit Plan Settings
6. Change the Power Options from Maximum Battery Life to Maximum Performance

1. Start
2. Control Panel
4. Power Options
5. Edit Plan Settings

This is an HP a1410n desktop. I thought I had put that in
somewhere. So the above will not work.
Okay on the phone.

1. Start
2. Control Panel
4. Power Options
5. Edit Plan Settings

The link you sent me is for a mapped network drive. This is a regular drive and not on a network. It is the C:\ physical drive.
OS is Windows 7. The link does not seem to fit.

Sorry Jim I have no other suggestions, perhaps somebody else will.

Sorry Jim I have no other suggestions, perhaps somebody else will.

No one else answered but thanks.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS WHY MY FIREFOX BROWSER AND WINDOWS EXPLORER Flash and say not responding and turns the web pages black?

SAME NO CHANGE. The next process is delete and reinstall.

Assume you mean Firefox not the entire system.

Assume you mean Firefox not the entire system.

Yes Firefox not the system.
I lost all of my tabs before I bookmarked them but I have a vanilla Firefox and it still intermittently Flashes. But occasionally Windows Explorer does Flash also.
I took the day off for other reasons yesterday and should have reinstalled the OS.
We'll see.

what about checking event viewer in admin tools in control panel

I still get a flashing and blinking and in the title bar of the browser it flashes (not responding) and turns the screen black. Booted up in SAFE MODE did everything and tried to reinstall no luck. I am running Windows 7 and AVIRA Anti virus.
Any new ideas?
Jim

I still get a flashing and blinking and in the title bar of the browser it flashes (not responding) and turns the screen black. Booted up in SAFE MODE did everything and tried to reinstall no luck. I am running Windows 7 and AVIRA Anti virus.
Any new ideas?
Jim

Jim, that is not what caperjack suggested:

You need to look there and see what errors are noted when this happens.

Jim, do you have Shockwave Flash 10.0.42.34 Add-in on the browsers?
From what I have been able to find over last couple days, this IS a common problem with many Windows 7 computers and Firefox...but Avira anti-virus program does not appear to be a culprit though virtually every other one was mentioned. One of them is Shockwave Flash. Another culprit listed was Microsoft Security Essentials though don't believe you have that, hopefully not anyway because that includes an anti-virus program, which would mean you would have two installed. Seems though a huge number of people are having exactly the same problem you are having using Firefox and Windows 7. There ARE two different Firefox help links listed below, they just look the same.

Firefox is not responding and freezes my system in Windows 7

Firefox 3.6 consumes a lot of CPU and Memory

Now here is one solution listed which may prove helpful, I can't say for sure but look at this link also
8 Great tips to reduce Firefox 3 memory usage

I have searched for a solution to this problem for over 5 days now and other than offer those three links above I really have no other suggestions.

i use win7 ultimate and Firefox 3.6.3 is my main browser and i have no problem with it at all ,so it is either you computer or a browser add on ,of which i have very few

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.