Hello All,

Last night I was infected with malware. Following this infection, a faux antivirus appeared; I was prevented from using the ctrl+alt+del function; I was unable to open any applications; I did not have browser based internet access (although temporarily my AIM client still worked); and my AVG was switched off. I manually turned off the computer and booted into safe mode. While in safe mode, I attempted to open AVG which failed, and I attempted to initiate a system restore which also failed.

Following this, I restarted and was able to configure my Comodo firewall to block the offending program. While most functionality was returned to the computer, it was running slowly and I now completely lacked internet access. I was able to access the internet using a portable version of firefox and initiated a Panda ActiveScan which informed me that I was infected with the trojan CI.A. I then downloaded malwarebytes' anti-malware utility which further confirmed that I was infected with CI.A. I used the utility to remove the trojan, and subsequent scans with panda Activescan, AVG, and malwarebytes' confirmed that the trojan had indeed been removed (Logs posted below).

However, following removal I am still prevented from accessing the internet through my installed browsers, and most programs are also prevented from accessing the internet. How would I go about restoring my internet access?

Thanks in advance

Initial mbam log

Registry Values Infected: 8
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 5

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cscrptxt.cscrptxt (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cscrptxt.cscrptxt.1.0 (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{84c3c236-f588-4c93-84f4-147b2abbe67b} (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{38061edc-40bb-4618-a8da-e56353347e6d} (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{7b6a2552-e65b-4a9e-add4-c45577ffd8fd} (Adware.EZLife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{e0ec6fba-f009-3535-95d6-b6390db27da1} (Adware.EZlife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JDK5SWFMZY (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\adgj.aghlp (Adware.EZLife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\adgj.aghlp.1 (Adware.EZLife) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\adshothlpr.adshothlpr (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\adshothlpr.adshothlpr.1.0 (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsuite (Rogue.AntivirusSuite) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Sky-Banners (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Street-Ads (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\XML (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\avsuite (Rogue.AntivirusSuite) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\$NtUninstallMTF1011$ (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sky-Banners (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Street-Ads (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AVSolution (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AVSolution (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{95dab855-5f2d-4685-802c-60ccd45c93c0} (Adware.AdRotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{95dab855-5f2d-4685-802c-60ccd45c93c0} (Adware.AdRotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{d2aaf412-ede7-4d60-9f04-b35195533cdf} (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{d2aaf412-ede7-4d60-9f04-b35195533cdf} (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\sta (Trojan.Agent.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\jdk5swfmzy (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\jdk5swfmzy (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\fjdkpwne (Rogue.AntivirusSuite.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\efeluyeganowetur (Trojan.Agent.U) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\swovudatugapoj (Trojan.Agent.U) -> Delete on reboot.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ewrgetuj (Worm.Prolaco.M) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\mchk (Trojan.Agent.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:
C:\Windows\$NtUninstallMTF1011$ (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
C:\Users\Ben Leiden\AppData\Local\Temp\nhhm.exe (Adware.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\$NtUninstallMTF1011$\zrpt.xml (Adware.Adrotator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Windows\Tasks\{8C3FDD81-7AE0-4605-A46A-2488B179F2A3}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\ceroplag.dll (Trojan.Agent.U) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\uwenuhece.dll (Trojan.Agent.U) -> Delete on reboot.

mbam log of scan following removal

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.46
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 4339

Windows 6.1.7600
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385

7/22/2010 6:36:20 PM
mbam-log-2010-07-22 (18-36-20).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 132623
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 5 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Current HijackThis log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 8:02:48 PM, on 7/22/2010
Platform: Windows 7 (WinNT 6.00.3504)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7600.16385)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Vidalia Bundle\Vidalia\vidalia.exe
C:\Users\Ben Leiden\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Vidalia Bundle\Tor\tor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Vidalia Bundle\Polipo\polipo.exe
C:\Users\Ben Leiden\Documents\My Dropbox\FirefoxPortable\FirefoxPortable.exe
C:\Users\Ben Leiden\Documents\My Dropbox\FirefoxPortable\App\firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\DllHost.exe
C:\Users\Ben Leiden\Desktop\Cleaning Utilities\eg3cotex.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG9\avgui.exe
C:\Users\Ben Leiden\Desktop\Cleaning Utilities\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5643
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: AskBar BHO - {201f27d4-3704-41d6-89c1-aa35e39143ed} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG9\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Groove GFS Browser Helper - {72853161-30C5-4D22-B7F9-0BBC1D38A37E} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveShellExtensions.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Ask Toolbar - {3041d03e-fd4b-44e0-b742-2d9b88305f98} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AskBarDis\bar\bin\askBar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Post-it® Digital Notes - {735abc4c-9266-4008-9ef6-bc60be8de31f} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG9_TRAY] C:\PROGRA~2\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Camera Assistant Software] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Video Web Camera\traybar.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SwitchBoard] C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS5ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS5ServiceManager\CS5ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Vidalia] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Vidalia Bundle\Vidalia\vidalia.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SuperbarMonitor.CPU] "C:\Users\BENLEI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX00.996\SuperbarMonitor.CPU.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SuperbarMonitor] "C:\Users\Ben Leiden\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX00.669\SuperbarMonitor.Disk.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SuperbarMonitor.Volume] "C:\Users\BENLEI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Rar$EX00.714\SuperbarMonitor.Volume.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Ben Leiden\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Dropbox.lnk = C:\Users\Ben Leiden\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Create a Post-it® Note - C:\Program Files (x86)\3M\PDNotes\\PSNBookMark.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O18 - Protocol: grooveLocalGWS - {88FED34C-F0CA-4636-A375-3CB6248B04CD} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveSystemServices.dll
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG9\avgpp.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Version Cue CS4 - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe Version Cue CS4\Server\bin\VersionCueCS4.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: ASP.NET State Service (aspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_state.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG Free E-mail Scanner (avg9emc) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Free WatchDog (avg9wd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Internet Security Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\COMODO Internet Security\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Logitech Bluetooth Service (LBTServ) - Logitech, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logishrd\Bluetooth\LBTServ.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: Adobe SwitchBoard (SwitchBoard) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 9583 bytes

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi Hosty,
It seems, I got the same infection like you. After I cleand the computer, the proxy settings in FF and IE were got crazy. You need to look at those settings. Unless you are using any proxy, you should uncheck all proxy check boxes in IE proxy settings, in FF set to

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.