BILL S 0 Junior Poster

It's been said, if a thief really wants your vehicle bad enough, there is no one method that will ultimately thwart it. Almost seems the same with the computer, from what I've learned thus far. Currently I'm using Norton Anti-virus and Firewall that came with my computer. It expires this month which is why I decided to start this topic. If I can't susbscribe to updates due to lack of extra cash for this, where do I go? I use AOL 9.0 Security Edition as well as know about WinXP's own Firewall that is turned off initially and some of the freeware suggestions, but what is the most robust system for a newbie to shoot for? What system updates automatically and takes the techie talk and guesswork out of the procedure?
When taking my PC in for repairs, I was still left with questions after asking one. The answers still leave a newbie confused. I've used PCs for 5 years now, but for specific tasks, and the nature of the beast encompasses a much grander scale.
Any advice on making things simple for me... and to pass on to people I know on PCs, it's a great help. This site is fantastic BTW
BILL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.