Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me as I am exhausted trying to clean up my husband's netbook.

Background:
I found a Windows Recovery virus on it a couple of days ago as well as a search bar virus. I did a system restore, removed the default Google search and I thought it fixed the problem.
Then yesterday I found a Win7 Antivirus virus on it as well as a search bar virus. I ran Malwarebytes and thought I fixed the problem. No such luck.
Then this morning the computer was pretty much unoperable. Even in safemode. But somehow I was able to do a system restore. I then ran SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes and Combofix. Now the search bar virus is still there.

I am at my wits end. I have a newborn and it is extremely difficult to find time to sleep let alone take care of her and fix this on top of everything. I am also trying to fix a virus on my dad's computer which is a whole other story.

I am hoping someone can give me a hand. I am just ready to go out and buy a new netbook just so I don't have to deal with this any longer.

Please let me know what you need from me. I downloaded all the programs requested in the sticky thread.

Thanks,
Maria

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi

What antivirus/security software you got?

If you can, create a new user called Backup, reboot, then login as the new user, install malwarebytes and update it and then run it (Full scan).

Then goto the Malware directory and copy the mbam.exe and paste it. Then rename the copied one to iexplore.exe

Next logoff and login as the infected user.

To run Malwarebytes in the infected user, you need to goto the malwarbytes folder and run the iexplore.exe as that type of trojan or virus stop most exe's from running.

You can also get this and run it, but use as a last resort.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=v59537052_EndUserProfile_en_us&ln=en_us

Let me know how you get on and when you normally on as I am UK time

If you read, the poster said they followed the Sticky which contains the How too.

Not sure what you refering too as you seem to be just posting negative comment here (hence your name)?

I'm sorry I don't understand the last person's post. If I haven't followed some rules on here please let me know.

I tried the suggestions above except I didn't try the link and I still have a problem with the search bar. I ran hijackthis but it is not letting me save the log.

In the sticky it said to download the files but it didn't say to run all those files so I have only done what I said in my original post.

Thanks for your help.
Maria

(I replied a few hours ago but it looks like my post never showed up!)

When I try to save the HT log it gives me a message that the file already exists (which it doesn't) and if I want to replace it. I click yes and then it says the file cannot be found and if I want to create a new one. I click yes and nothing happens.

I have been trying for 2 days to fix this using different suggestions on the web with no luck. I can't even edit the hosts file which I saw suggested somewhere because apparently I need admin rights even though I am running as an admin. Ugh! And I apologize if I am sounding niave but I am frustrated and not that knowledgeable on the software you all are familiar with.

I sent you a PM, please check it

Maria

Ignore that poster, I'll try sort this for you.

Maria

You done well and you only had a google search to deal with.

Glad it sorted, but report back after the full AV Scan.

Hello!

It took me a while to update my Windows Updates and AV and do a full scan but now it is all done and looks like my system is clean!

Thank you for your help!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.