I am having trouble with some spyware on my home computer. It keeps popping up with a message that says you have a virus on your computer, click here to remove it, i hit cancel and the pop up goes away, and then it opens up a web browser window for about blank.com. I close this window and it goes away for a few minutes and then the same thing keeps happening. I downloaded the adaware program and run the scan, and it keeps stopping before the scan finishes and i can't remove the infected files because it never finishes. Any ideas what i can do?
Thanks
Jack Burnside,

Download HijackThis (current verison is v1.99.1)

or here (Alternate 1, a self-extracting zip file)
or here (Alternate 2, an *.exe file)

Make a new folder to put your HijackThis.exe into.

(Anywhere on your hard drive is fine other than your Desktop or the Temp folder. Suitable examples are:

• C:HijackThis
  • C:Programshijackthis
  • C:WindowsMy DocumentsHJT

but feel free to use any name.)

Extract and save the HijackThis download to the new folder you made. Then navigate to it and run HijackThis from there. (This is to ensure it makes the necessary backups for recovery if fixes are made) Then, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and click Scan.

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button. Press that and copy & paste its contents in your reply. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't try to fix anything yourself.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.