I run Symantic AntiVirus and SpyBot Search & Destroy on a daily basis, the other day when i downloaded a file i got a virus instead telling me to download their product to fix it.

I ran scans and stopped what i could, looked at what i couldn't stop downloaded unlock and deleted all the files i could find that went with the virus. i think i got all the bad files out of the system32 file but wanted to make sure i did.... hope someone can verify im all good?

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:40:12 PM, on 10/27/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dustin Sheridan\My Documents\New Folder\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {656EAE42-5CD3-0BC7-A191-0125702A7875} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hlrugwj.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {c3703265-4671-4858-92a4-cba6a7b3bb45} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ixt0.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AttuneSysTray] C:\PROGRA~1\Aveo\Attune\Bin\Attune_st.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AttuneDiscovery] C:\PROGRA~1\Aveo\Attune\bin\Attune_DI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDrive] rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drvhoc.dll,startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UnlockerAssistant] "C:\Program Files\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1157905611861
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: winjjq32 - winjjq32.dll (file missing)
O21 - SSODL: incestuously - {03413bf7-e34c-445b-bfc0-a2b127255871} - (no file)
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

Thanx for the help

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Okay, a moderate selection of things remaining and we shall now work on those. But please, once we start this, do not delete or fix anything until I or someone says so..

Time to get some free stuff....

First off I would like you to download CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ and put it in a new folder. You should aim to keep this one for general use. I set it from the install checkboxes to only open from the recycle bin. It's just a neater thing.
Get Adaware SE Personal from http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/
- install it. Update it.
Finally download SmitfraudFix (by S!Ri) from http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix.zip
Extract the content (a folder named SmitfraudFix) to your Desktop.

Before the next step memorise these instructions... or copy em to notepad. Or just use Opera...
Ok, you're done with the net. Shut it down. Disconnect...
Check that a Restore point has been made [one should have just been made automatically because you just installed software...]. The path to this is via Start > all programs > accessories > system tools> system restore. The reason for doing this is that some trojans write themselves into the System Restore files, and in there they are totally safe from anything.
Now rclick your recycle bin and run CCleaner. [or go to its folder and dclick ccleaner.exe] You will lose a lot of handy stuff like histories etc... but there is a job to do...

Now go into safe mode [Restart, F8 and select Safe Mode and Enter.... You'll get a dark desktop with icons etc...]
Note: Close all open windows, and DO NOT USE the computer while these scans are running. If Explorer or other programs are open during the scan that means certain files will also be in use. Some malware will insert itself and hide in areas that are "protected" by Windows when the files are being used. This can hamper a scanner's ability to clean properly and may result in reinfection.
- Do a full Adaware scan and remove all the problems it finds.
- Run SpyBot S D. Create the registry backup, then check for problems. Select and fix problems.
- Open the SmitfraudFix folder and double-click smitfraudfix.cmd, select option #1 - Search [type 1 and Enter]; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present). Please paste the report in your next reply. DO NOT RUN OPTION 2 YET!!!

When you are finished reboot to normal windows mode and send that Smitfraud log in....

Downloaded what i was told to, ran all the spybot and anti-virus software. They didn't kick anything up.

Heres the smitfraudfix report:

SmitFraudFix v2.115

Scan done at 14:29:05.54, Sat 10/28/2006
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Dustin Sheridan\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
Fix run in safe mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\Web

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\WINDOWS\system32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\Dustin Sheridan

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Documents and Settings\Dustin Sheridan\Application Data

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Start Menu

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\DOCUME~1\DUSTIN~1\FAVORI~1

C:\DOCUME~1\DUSTIN~1\FAVORI~1\Antivirus Test Online.url FOUND !

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» C:\Program Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Corrupted keys

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Desktop Components

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\Components\0]
"Source"="About:Home"
"SubscribedURL"="About:Home"
"FriendlyName"="My Current Home Page"

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Sharedtaskscheduler
!!!Attention, following keys are not inevitably infected!!!

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri
Search SharedTaskScheduler's .dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler]
"incestuously"="{03413bf7-e34c-445b-bfc0-a2b127255871}"

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» AppInit_DLLs

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=""

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» pe386-msguard-lzx32

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Scanning wininet.dll infection

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't know how to read all that but you can let me know... Thanx

ok, stix..... time to run the clean option with smitfraudfix.
- Disconnect from the net
- Check that a Restore point has been made.
- Now go into safe mode.
- Start Smitfraudfix as before and press 2, Enter.

===You will be prompted: "Registry cleaning - Do you want to clean the registry?"; answer Y and Enter [which will remove the desktop background and clean registry keys associated with the infection].

The tool will next check if wininet.dll is infected- if it is you will be prompted to replace the file ; type Y and press "Enter".
Reboot into normal Windows and post here the text file which will appear on your screen, along with a new HT log.
You will also have to restore your desktop background...

Sorry i was slow in replying... the weeekend got in the way.

commented: Very helpful person!!! ***** 5 stars +1

Did what ya said.... heres the report

SmitFraudFix v2.115

Scan done at 21:43:21.79, Mon 10/30/2006
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Dustin Sheridan\Desktop\SmitfraudFix\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
Fix run in safe mode

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Before SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler]
"incestuously"="{03413bf7-e34c-445b-bfc0-a2b127255871}"

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Killing process

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Generic Renos Fix

GenericRenosFix by S!Ri

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting infected files

C:\DOCUME~1\DUSTIN~1\FAVORI~1\Antivirus Test Online.url Deleted

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Deleting Temp Files

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» Registry Cleaning

Registry Cleaning done.

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» After SmitFraudFix

SrchSTS.exe by S!Ri

»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»» End

THANK YOU
let me know if my computer is happy?!

yep. it did its job. Run HT in normal mode and if they're still there fix these three...
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {656EAE42-5CD3-0BC7-A191-0125702A7875} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\hlrugwj.dll (file missing)
O21 - SSODL: incestuously - {03413bf7-e34c-445b-bfc0-a2b127255871} - (no file)
-then rerun HT [in normal mode] and post the log.
I don't get viruses/trojans myself.... not had one for ages... but i promise myself that if/when i do i shall run sfc /scannow [from Start> run..] with my install CD... just to check that the cache has not been broken in to..

what is "SFC"?? I ran HJT again and the files are still there :Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:48:38 PM, on 10/31/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dustin Sheridan\My Documents\New Folder\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {c3703265-4671-4858-92a4-cba6a7b3bb45} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ixt0.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [vptray] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_08\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AttuneSysTray] C:\PROGRA~1\Aveo\Attune\Bin\Attune_st.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AttuneDiscovery] C:\PROGRA~1\Aveo\Attune\bin\Attune_DI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDrive] rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drvhoc.dll,startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/vc/bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {644E432F-49D3-41A1-8DD5-E099162EEEC5} (Symantec RuFSI Utility Class) - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/SharedContent/common/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1157905611861
O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NavLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe

--------------------------------------------------------------------

How do i fix them? Im slowly learning alot but im still clueless at the same time....

You're doing just fine... the log is clean, or will be [ there are 3 entries where problem files have been removed but the registry keys are still pointing to where they were, and you can fix them simply by opening HiJackThis again, running a System Scan only, and then putting checks against these 3 objects:-

O20 - Winlogon Notify: winjjq32 - winjjq32.dll (file missing

... and finally Press the Fix Checked button.

A note about Symantec: open the update log [it's plain text] and see how the update service performs.... when I used them once i found that sometimes my puter could try occasionally up to 50 - 80 times per day to connect, and sometimes fail at it.. My AVG update goes thru on schedule every day.
Spybot and Adaware are good cleaners. Run them as a first step as you did here if you suspect problems in the future [but update them first.] I do not know your surfing habits but once weekly/fortnightly should suffice, daily is too much!
Oh yeah, CCleaner, if you tick just the few boxes that you want [temp files, cookies, bin etc, but not registry cleaning!] is a great little regular cleanup tool.
And SFC, or System File Checker, does just that. You run sfc.exe from the Run command entry... just go Start > Run, and type sfc /scannow

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.