the windows xp would not boot niether in the usual way or in the safe mode the error message is

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

unmountable boot volume

technical information
****STOP:0x000000ed (0x85346850,0x00000000, 0x00000000)

windows came preinstalled on the laptop. so cannot reinstall windows. i have driver reinstallation cds; but not sure if they have windows.

anybody any suggestions on how to repair this

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

"i have driver reinstallation cds; but not sure if they have windows." Me neither, but you are going to need a Windows Setup CD from someone. Borrow a copy that is the same std of upgrade as yours... eg SP2.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console, select the installation, enter the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r , and then press ENTER.
When chkdsk finishes type exit and then press ENTER to restart your computer.
Did not work? Could be your boot.ini file is corrupted so back into recovery console, but this time instead of chkdsk type fixboot.
Restart.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.