hi people. i have new pc which runs on new vista, and i want also to have linux on my computer. now since i'm not really familiar with linux and don't know any thing about it. can anybody tell me what i need to instal it and how do i do it.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

It depends on which linux version you choose (there are thousands)

I reccomend one called Ubuntu. Download the .iso file for version 7 from thier website and use the image burning feature in your cd/dvd software to burn the .iso to a disk (if you dont have this ability, there is a free software called DeepBurner). You MUST burn it as an image, not a file or else it wont work.

If you dont want to download it (nearly 700mb) then you can order a cd for cheap

Boot your PC off the cd and linux will strat (running from the cd) for you to test it out before installing to see if you like it. If you do like it, double click the icon on the desktop for the installer and then choose to shrink your vista partition on the disk, so that they can run side-by-side (dual-booting)

The process varies for each distribution of linux but i reccoemend Ubuntu. Its very easy to set up, and get help, and it allows you to test it before installing.

I didn't know google started banning users who had questions about dual booting

I didn't know google started banning users who had questions about dual booting

what?

being banned from google is the only reason I can see for asking such a question in a forum

thanks for your comments i'll do it.

If you choose ubuntu (which would be a good choice for a first time user) it will ask you how you want to partition your HDD. Make sure you select "manual" otherwise it will erase vista completely. Make the linux partition at least 4gb and make the swap partition about twice as much as the amount of RAM that you have installed. Those are the general rules.

If you choose ubuntu (which would be a good choice for a first time user) it will ask you how you want to partition your HDD. Make sure you select "manual" otherwise it will erase vista completely. Make the linux partition at least 4gb and make the swap partition about twice as much as the amount of RAM that you have installed. Those are the general rules.

That's assuming that the original poster has room left on their hard drive. Most Windows users install Windows over the entire drive, and so either the partition has to be shrunk, or the drive has to be repartitioned from scratch. The former method can be done within the installer through guided partitioning (I think).

yes, you can shrink NTFS from the ubuntu livecd

Please defrag and chkdsk from windows before running the livecd - it decreases the chances of it going wrong

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.