I got the bootable CD from www.mepis.com for $14.00 and you can try this great version of Linux on your windows box without loading it on your hard drive.

Have any of you folks looked at this great OS?

It is fantastic and I was able to open up a hard drive that Microsoft anti-spyware ruined, there was a known conflict with M$ anti-spyware and install shield that rendered the FAT useless, MEPIS was able to read the drive but Windows could not.

They also have a help forum over there for all of you that need more details.

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

The new SimplyMEPIS 6.5 Rc1 32bit can read and write ntfs now so MEPIS can really save windows users when windows crashes, again.

$14?

bit expensive...

buying linux? absurd

i suppose its the only way if you happen to have dialup

neh, you can always download the image at school/university/friends'/whatever
or just free order ubuntu :)

i would NEVER buy linux. I'd rather download an image in 10 years than buy it.

Linuxtracker has good isos of the most popular linux's.

Member Avatar for TKSS

I try to use on-disk.com because they give portions of the profit back to the developers :)

Not absurd at all, it is a fantastic value, over 900 software programs are on the new Mepis DVD, you are crazy to compute without it. :eek:

fantastic value? when I can get a better distro like ubuntu for free, or download any other distro? come on, stop this BS.

selling linux is idiocy. the only thing that can be sold is support and services.

honestly, linux was meant to be free.

There is nothing unique about this distrobution, you can make live CD's with all the software you need, this is just another distro to add to the list of WAYTOOLONGTOMENTIONANDOVERCOMPLICATEDLISTOFPEOPLETHROWINGSOFTWARETOGETHER.

blud you are wrong about MEPIS not being unique. It is spelled with all capital letters. That alone is unique I think, except for CRUX but who has ever even heard of CRUX let alone used it? Not me, but I live a sheltered life.
Here is a link to a list of almost all of the linux's available and what distro that they are based on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions

This is taken from the link
CRUX
CRUX is a lightweight, i686-optimized Linux distribution targeted at experienced Linux users. The primary focus of this distribution is "keep it simple", which is reflected in a simple tar.gz-based package system, BSD-style initscripts, and a relatively small collection of trimmed packages.
Have fun I always do. ;)

>you are wrong about MEPIS not being unique
Tell us what is unique about MEPIS, then.

>It is spelled with all capital letters. That alone is unique I think
Are you serious?

Anywa, having a huge amount of software is NOT a good reason to buy a distro. Personally, I choose distros based on their default configuration (do I have to remove lots of crap to get it to run decently?), the basic configuration tools that are at my disposal, and the installation of it. I would never buy a distro simply because it offered nearly 1000 software packages that can be had for free simply by downloading them off the internet.

I WAS joking joe. Couldn't you tell? Nice to lighten up a thread a bit, no?

And I have never bought MEPIS. I just use it, test it, try to break it and help other new MEPIS users get started with it.
There really isn't much difference between MEPIS and all of the rest to the naked eye. Lot's have kde, even higher versions of kde than what MEPIS uses. Lots have synaptic package manager. Not many other debian based distros use ubuntu repositories. So that alone is pretty unique.

Other unique things.

The live MEPIS disk can load the new nvidia driver for you to try while running the live disk. Does your linux do that? I doubt it. Does your linux allow you to try beryl when you run the live disk. I bet not. Does your linux even include beryl? What is your main distro so I don't have to look through a hundred threads to find out. Tell me and I'll tell you what i think about it if I have used it.
Don't be shy now.

What really is unique about MEPIS is MEPISlovers.org .
MEPISlovers.org is the best MEPIS forum that there is. And maybe the best forum of them all, including this one. Don't get me wrong. I like this forum. MEPISlovers will answer your questions usually the same hour rather than the next day or two. Members at MEPISlovers just seem to be there when you need them. I have been a member of a lot of linux forums and MEPISlovers is the fastest, most knowledgable, friendliest community of linux users that I have ever been with. I am proud to be a part of MEPISlovers. I am a MEPIS Guide and a moderator at MEPISlovers so I when I say that I know MEPIS and that I know what x-users of other linux's say about the distro that they left behind then I do. I don't any coroboration from anyone in that matter. I can provide links to back up what I say if I really want to.

As for the available software the number is closer to 20,000 packages available when you enable all the repos. You get about a thousand installed. If you have enough ram then kde is great. But if you don't then it is not. You could use xfce4, fluxbox or any other lightweight window manager and you will see MEPIS fly. I have only 1.16 Gb of ram. My box will only hold 2 Gb of ram but with what I have my computer is lightening fast using kde. Ram is cheap at newegg or ebay.

Is that enough unique things about MEPIS to keep you going or do you need more? I'm trying to help you. Have you even tried MEPIS in the last little while ? The way you say the things that you say about MEPIS really makes me wonder if you have tried MEPIS lately or not. Maybe you should. :lol:

>I WAS joking joe. Couldn't you tell?
Not really, especially when you don't use any emoticons. You have to remember that posts are not always read in the same mood that you wrote them in, and it's impossible to tell the mood that you were in when you wrote them.

And I really don't care about Beryl -- especially in LiveCD mode. If you need it when running a LiveCD, good for you. But I'm indifferent to the feature.

Finally, there are TONS of helpful Linux forums out there for all distros, so I wouldn't really worry about that too much.

Anyway, I'm out.

Anyway, I'm out.

+1

I was hoping that you would at least tell me the distro that you use the most.
I haven't even tried beryl and I don't know if I will or not.
But being able to check out beryl with the live cd might make MEPIS unique. No comment for me to rebutt?
You never commented on MEPIS's ability to load the new nvidia driver while using the live cd.
Haven't heard of any others doing that one. Unique.
And when was the last time you tried MEPIS. Honestly. I hear you call it down but you don't say when the last time was that you used MEPIS. Or what version it was that you tried, if you did try it. If you had a problem with something that MEPIS couldn't do then use that on me. I may have the answer already in my head. I have posted about 2 1/2 thousand posts at MEPISlovers where I am a MEPISguide and a site moderator. 1400+ at the new MEPISlovers site and the rest at the old MEPIS lovers site.
I have helped countless users get comfy with their MEPIS ride.
Obviously I don't like anyone calling down MEPIS. Not joking. Anyone can have trouble with a live cd due to the md5sum not matching, low ram, weird hardware or a lexmark/dell printerand that would give you a bad taste of MEPIS. Those are the only reasons that I can think of. Maybe you fall into one of those slots.
The usual mirrors have had a hard time lately giving you a copy of MEPIS that has a matching Md5sum. So some of us at MEPISlovers have been seeding torrents at linuxtracker that have the right Md5sum. Get it there.
Except if a guy never really gives MEPIS a chance because he is used to something else.
Just my opinion but it is backed up by fact. Want some links? I have them. I would NEVER give my approval to a distro without really working it over. Digital camera detection. Printer set up. Package management. Mp3 play. Dvd play. Dvd backing up. Scanning. Networking. Wireless set up. MEPIS just works.

Oh, and you DID ask me what makes MEPIS unique so that is why I posted.

I know that MEPIS won't work for everybody. The MEPISlovers forum will back that up. Some types of hardware just won't work. But these cases are the exceptions and not the rule. They make up a very small percentage. You can't make 100% of the people happy. Ever.
I have heard good things about the new 64 bit version of MEPIS. If you have an amd 64 cpu then you may like MEPIS.
That's all for now. Thanks for your responses. I would like you answer my other questions if you could find the time. Thanks again. ;)

1) other crapital letter distributions:

SLAX
SUSE

2) you can get a compositing window manager and beryl and all the nvidia/ati drivers as well as the wir=reless ones if you get PCLinux OS or Sabayon.

Does mepis let any user create thier own livecd in ONE COMMAND? i think not.. PCLinxu does.

Now stop triolling about MEPIS, its really not that different

My last words on the topic:

You run the same kernel (actually, from what I can tell, you're running the one I installed a year ago; I've updated since). You use the same packages (and likely the same package manager as many other distros as well). How does that make your distro better than the ones I've already got configured the way I like?

>you are wrong about MEPIS not being unique
Tell us what is unique about MEPIS, then.

>It is spelled with all capital letters. That alone is unique I think
Are you serious?

Anywa, having a huge amount of software is NOT a good reason to buy a distro. Personally, I choose distros based on their default configuration (do I have to remove lots of crap to get it to run decently?), the basic configuration tools that are at my disposal, and the installation of it. I would never buy a distro simply because it offered nearly 1000 software packages that can be had for free simply by downloading them off the internet.

I cannot believe that you are bashing MEPIS when you have never even tried it. I looked at your profile. Shame.

1) other crapital letter distributions:

SLAX
SUSE

2) you can get a compositing window manager and beryl and all the nvidia/ati drivers as well as the wir=reless ones if you get PCLinux OS or Sabayon.

Does mepis let any user create thier own livecd in ONE COMMAND? i think not.. PCLinxu does.

Now stop triolling about MEPIS, its really not that different

Don't mention sabyon to me. Waste of a dvd download. Sabyon couldn't even detect my drives right. it said that I had sata and only an a drive. it didn't even see my hdb or that I use pata and not sata. Not too good . Nice eyecandy though. but that's just eyecandy and not performance.

Don't tell me I'm trolling when I am just standing up for my favorite distro. Have you even tried MEPIS ? Probably not. You're one of the guys that can bash a distro without trying it too? Weak.

yes ive tried it. Insecure, Slow (WTF did they make it i386!!!), Bloated, Tacky and inconsisten, poor doucmentation

and as for the huge amount of software

debian and ubuntu have much pretty much the same if not more software repos than MEPIS, and there all at your fingrtips via APT/synaptic

that realy nothing special

yes ive tried it. Insecure, Slow (WTF did they make it i386!!!), Bloated, Tacky and inconsisten, poor doucmentation

debian and ubuntu have much pretty much the same if not more software repos than MEPIS, and there all at your fingrtips via APT/synaptic

Really? Which version did you try? 3.3 ? It was released in 2004 if that is the case.
If you can't answer my questions without being insulting then stay off of the thread. If you have used MEPIS then tell me which version. Then I'll think about it.

They have a 64 bit out , if you didn't know. The version that I use regular is SimplyMEPIS 6.5 rc1 32 bit version. I have a pen 4 so what do you think I should use. I think that I know. From RECENT personal experiance.
Your statement about MEPIS being slow is so far off base that it is just funny.

Documentation for MEPIS is awesome if you know where to look. I guess you didn't know where to look if you couldn't find good documentation. Heard of google? There. That is the extent of my insults. Not like you. Using terms like WTF ? Just what does that mean? Spell it out for me. In english. Sounds like you just said something that shouldn't be said in a public forum.

Do I have to remind you too that this forum is called Getting Started and Choosing a distro ? I am just trying to save some users from going backwards when the distro that is being recommended is going to be hard to learn. getting Started and Choosing a Distro is what i have been posting about. I don't bash unless provoked by ignorance. Ignorance is not knowing. Not an insult. An obsevation. Closed mindedness is not a virtue.

jbennet you said "debian and ubuntu have much pretty much the same if not more software repos than MEPIS, and there all at your fingrtips via APT/synaptic"
Yet you never referred to those distros as being bloated? Why is MEPIS bloated and not ubuntu which has just as many programs as MEPIS installed or installable? I feel this is a personal attack on me and not a constructive observation. I love to debate intelligently. It is the backbone of learning new things. But I don't insult, I just tell it as I see it. And from plenty of personal experience. I expect others to do the same.

Could you try and explain what you mean by 'Insecure' ?
How could MEPIS be 'bloated' and not ubuntu? You said that they have the same amount of packages installed and available. So would you explain your 'bloated' remark with an intelligent answer and no more remarks that are not based on fact?

You need to explain yourself if you are going to post on any thread that I am posting on or save yourself the trouble a stay off any threads where you need to be insulting. This is a public forum and not your home where you can say whatever strikes your fancy. Think about it before you post some 'funny' remark that is so far off base as to make you seem foolish. Back to you. Funny man. LOL and ROTFLMAO.

debian = bloated?

have you ever heard of netinstall? i swear by it

and yes i tried SimplyMEPIS 32 bit v6.5 rc1 as well as the current stable 6.0 version, didnt like either

look i dont want to flame ok, but your attitude suggests you almost want to start one

i set up people with debian custom debian netinstalls or ubuntu on a weekly basis but i tried mepis on all my machines and well, frankly i dont believe its up to the task as it has poor driver support and ran slowwwwwww.

On the positive note, it was very fast booting up

debian = bloated?

have you ever heard of netinstall? i swear by it

and yes i tried SimplyMEPIS 32 bit v6.5 rc1 as well as the current stable 6.0 version, didnt like either

look i dont want to flame ok, but your attitude suggests you almost want to start one

i set up people with debian custom debian netinstalls or ubuntu on a weekly basis but i tried mepis on all my machines and well, frankly i dont believe its up to the task as it has poor driver support and ran slowwwwwww.

On the positive note, it was very fast booting up

Take a good look at all of my posts and see if I said ANYWHERE that debian is 'bloated' You said that in a way that infers that i said such a rediculous thing. I never said that so you should retract your statement to avoid embarrasment. I have reported you for harrassing me continually.
I mean you said "ran slow" and "booted fast" I guess that you must have low ram on all of your machines. I really doubt that you did install it on ALL of your machines. You just said that to try and add credence to your weak statements. My guess is that you tried a live cd and it ran slow for you.

You said "look i dont want to flame ok, " Well then why are you? This thread is for telling people about various distros and their good and bad points. That's what I am doing in spite of your harrasment. I am not trying to start a flame war but i have years of experience using MEPIS all of the time as my main system. I know that you can't say that. Your statement about installing MEPIS on ALL of your machines is so full of holes that it is funny too. I really don't think that anyone who thought that MEPIS was 'slow' 'bloated' and 'insecure' would bother to install it on all of his machines. Really. Do you really think that anyone would believe that bs ? And I'm not a gamer. So don't play games with me man.

Wow. you said something positive about MEPIS. I'm surprised.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion, you said yourself that the live CD included over 900 applications, to native linux users, this seems rather bloated. My live CD includes 130 applications, and does everything that I need it to do. Lets try to cool off the personal attacks, just because we don't like the OS your recommending, isn't cause to get all up in arms, we are just letting other people know there are alternatives, and what our opinion is.

commented: Agree completely. --Joe +8

1) installed it on a dell desktop, a ibm laptop and 2 compaq/hp servers - on only 2 of these machines the install worked (and with some serious tweaking)

Theee are not production machines, just machines that i use for testing distributions on and for practcing for college

2)I am doing exactly what you said, good and bad points. As i said, MEPIS is extremely fast loading and tries to be user friendly but in the end lacks driver support and is slow

3) I am not a gamer

4) check post26. you said ubuntu was bloated. ubuntu has far less packages than MEPIS

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.