Hey Guys, Ubuntu just released it's 9.10 version called "karmic Koala". I'm still on the process of updating my old OS but I heard a lot of great things about it. One even mentioned it is a great competitor for Windows 7.

Does anyone have something to share about the Koala?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hey Guys, Ubuntu just released it's 9.10 version called "karmic Koala". I'm still on the process of updating my old OS but I heard a lot of great things about it. One even mentioned it is a great competitor for Windows 7.

Does anyone have something to share about the Koala?

Tried installing it and...Well lets put it this way, if I wasn't so entrenched in Mandriva I would have switched.

I like it! Its a good release. Ubuntu is doing a great job!!

I have used ubuntu desktop release as well as the UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) 9.10
I really like the UNR 9.10

It worked flawlessly right out of the box on my Asus 1005ha netbook.

Karmic is very buggy compared to jaunty, it seems a bit rushed to me - there are quite a number of regressions caused by changes to the kernel (KMS mainly), specifically, of you have an intel video chipset (945GM for example) you are likely to encounter a number of issues. Going to skip this release, myself (im currently on LTS anyway)

On the plus side though, it does give faster boot and improved hardware support (unless you are hit by the aforementioned regressions).

Its still work on my old notebook and even perform slightly better. Its flawless, stable and secure. There is no other reason why I need to go back to Window. It got browser, Open office, Movie player and MP3 player, Image processor and Empathy. That's all I need for my day to day usage. The only that is still poor is the gaming side. That is 1 area Window win. Well you can't have everything I guess.

So far, K Koala has been impressive in my opinion. I also love the idea that they converted to using empathy instead of pidgin, which makes everything more lighter than the usual.

I did an upgrade from my 9.04 kubuntu, but I heard a lot of people saying installing it fresh is the best way to make sure we get to enjoy the koala experience. I might try installing it fresh one of these days.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.