Hi,
What is the best site to get a basic knowledge of troubleshooting common Linux problems. And the best site for learning fundamentals of Linux? I'm not into programming but wanting to learn a new OS. Thanks Joe

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Also don't forget the Linux Documentation Project, which plays host to plenty of HOWTOs. I also find that Safari (note: paid subscription) is a useful resource with plenty of O'Reilly and other major publishers books are online in their entirity.

Regards,

Martyn

What is the best site to get a basic knowledge of troubleshooting common Linux problems. And the best site for learning fundamentals of Linux?

Another good portal is YoLinux, which has resources for beginners through power users. Also, Knoppix is a good place to start, since no installation is required and the Knoppix user community can't be beat for helpfulness (is that a word?*). There are other CD-bootable Linuxes, but the Knoppix.net community is an advantage that's hard to match, let alone beat.

A good book for beginners is Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye! It includes a slightly older version of Knoppix, but it's still useful. Marcel is a funny guy and a good writer (he'll be at PenguiCon again in April). The book is a really good start for someone coming from a Windows environment.

A good article to go with the Knoppix theme is Knoppix - Instant Gratification, which I have mirrored on my OPCC site, since the original DistroWatch link is sometimes hard to reach. The article also covers the use of Knoppix as a Windows rescue disc.

* It is! Definition:

1. [n] friendliness evidence by a kindly and helpful disposition
2. [n] the property of providing useful assistance

Synonym: kindliness

That's what we're here for... :cheesy:

Thanks everyone for their input I apreciate it. Thi is a great forum and all of you have been helpful.....:lol:

I second linuxnewbie or justlinux (same thing)

I assume you meant linuxiso.org and not linuxisos.org? Actually I just started running an advertising campaign over with them :) A TechTalkForums banner is currently in rotation on their site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.