I am wondering is it possible to have linux gentoo and Xp on the same computer with XP as my mine, i wanna have XP for just regular stuff but i also want to use linux for programming

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Yes, just setup your boot loader usually either Lilo or grub to be directed to the right hard drive sector.

In the section of the Gentoo handbook about setting up the bootloader, there is an explanation on how to do this. As percent20 said, you simply point the bootloader (most likely GRUB) to the partition containing Windows.

im still generally confused about setting it up now i know what to do here (ill probally get a book on linux or some shit like that the handbook, which i have read assumes a bit more knowledge tehn i have)

I hope for you not to take this as an insult, but if you're not really knowledgeable on Linux, might another distro, like Debian, be more your speed? It's got tons of packages available, and it's pretty good about auto-configuring things, but still giving you the power to modify things as you see fit.

well im gonna use the gentoo package that is preset up so it will be a little less but ive read the gentoo handbook 3 times but ill look into other distros maybe

Should definetly check out the Gentoo Forums. If you ever have a problem, someone can usually help you fix it with in a day or two. These forums are yet another reason I like Gentoo over other distros I have tried. :cool:

u can have that for that u need to set the option at the time of instaling linux

u can have that for that u need to set the option at the time of instaling linux

I Have to disagree ...

I Have to disagree ...

y ........ u said this

Hey people I have used other Distros of Linux before but the gento linux snap shot took my heart and so I tried to install one on of my machines. but i was taken back by the installation procedure (text based), IS THERE NO OTHER WAY TO INSTALL GENTO WITHOUT SPENDING MUCH TIME as is the case with other distros ?

You can configure the windows bootloader to show a linux option.
Check this page:

windows bootloader

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IN A LINUX ENVIRONMENT, DON'T USE GENTOO!!!!!!!
Sorry, I had to get that out. It's just Gentoo is NOT a good starting point for anybody wishing to get into Linux. If you want a good place to start out, get Debian or Mandriva (Mandrake). Gentoo may look all nice and pretty, but setting it up is a nightmare and really technical. If you're starting out in Linux, use something with a GUI setup (i.e. Mandrake/RedHat). I've been using Mandrake for a while now, and I'm amazed with all of the features it has. I'm most impressed with the Package Manager. Definitely give Mandrake a shot.

I used to use a Slackware based distro called CollegeLinux. It's amazing, but it being Slackware based meant hand-editing config files ad-nauseum.

Go with Mandrake.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING IN A LINUX ENVIRONMENT, DON'T USE GENTOO!!!!!!!
Sorry, I had to get that out. It's just Gentoo is NOT a good starting point for anybody wishing to get into Linux.

I disagree I'm a Linux newb and I installed Gentoo just this week, in fact I am using it now.

More specifically I'd say it's not for people who don't know too much about the inner workings of computers, rather than people just new to Linux. If you're happy with PCI devices drivers and drive partitioning and stuff like that go for it.
And even if your not Gentoo installation is great way to get close to the hardware and learn something usefull, the handbook is excellent.

If your more of a software nut then yes go for something like Debian or Mandrake.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.