I just updated Ubuntu to Lucid Lynx and also got an OpenOffice update: it's now 3.2. When I started it, the progressbar flashes to 100% in a second or two but to get from there to the actual program takes about two minutes. When I "top", I see that Java is using 100% CPU. I have a Core2 Duo with 4 GB. The previous Openoffice ran nice and fast.
Does anyone else have problem with the new Openoffice, or is it just me?

Recommended Answers

Use geany. its in the repository, sudo apt-get install geany.

Comes in handy. also try gedit.

Explore :)

Jump to Post

All 4 Replies

Use geany. its in the repository, sudo apt-get install geany.

Comes in handy. also try gedit.

Explore :)

You can't compare geany or gedit to the word processor of OpenOffice. I want to open/write Microsoft doc/docx types which can't be done with a simple program like gedit.
With the last update of Lucid Lynx this problem has disappeared for me, so I'll mark the thread as solved for now, although I would still like to know if other people have experienced the same problems..

geany also compatible with doc/docx types.

That is why we love linux, there is always an alternative.

:)

BUMP

Go to Options Openoffice.org and then java then uncheck the box " Use a Java Runtime Environment" It speeds up Quite a bit
Also if you don't mind spending some of your ram you can enable quickstarter from the memory option it will fire up OOo it 1-2 Seconds!

commented: thanks +1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.19 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.