Hello---

I'm attempting to compile a software package (http://www.freeusp.org/) on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.3), and unfortunately, the Makefile cannot find an include that is required for compilation. In the /trcgp/ directory is a Makefile with the following:

include ${DEPTROOT}/etc/gmake.init

In my .bash_profile file, I have the following:

FreeUSP=/Users/nkinar/common/FreeUSP/FreeUSP-1.05; export FreeUSP
DEPTROOT=$FreeUSP/trcgp

From the bash prompt, I've checked and found that the $DEPTROOT variable is indeed set:

$ echo $DEPTROOT
/Users/nkinar/common/FreeUSP/FreeUSP-1.05/trcgp

However, after running make in the /trcgp/ directory, I receive the following error:

$ make
Makefile:13: /etc/gmake.init: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/etc/gmake.init'.  Stop.

Since gmake is not found on a Mac OS X system, I've created a symlink to the make utility, but this does not seem to resolve the problem:

$ which gmake
/usr/bin/gmake
$ which make
/usr/bin/make

Why is this Makefile not working, and what can I do to ensure that the $DEPTROOT variable is accessible to the Makefile?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Not sure if this works differently on Mac rather than on Linux, do you have a compiler installed?

Hello finito---

Thank you very much for your response, and for helping to point me in the right direction. Yes, I've verified that there is indeed a compiler installed.

In actuality, the problem can be rectified by adding the following export to the .bash_profile file:

FreeUSP=/Users/nkinar/common/FreeUSP/FreeUSP-1.05; export FreeUSP
DEPTROOT=$FreeUSP/trcgp; export DEPTROOT

Now the Makefile can indeed find the include.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.