I'm looking for a Linux version that is equal to Windows7, has a virtual machine built in so I can run all my Windows programs and a distro that makes it a real argument over installing Windows7 because of it's features, ease of use and compatibility with most or specifically all hardware and Windows Software does such a Distro exist ?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You can go for a KDE based distribution like Kubuntu or Fedora 13 KDE. KDE is known for its ease of use and Mac OS X like GUI. Also, it has a control-panel-like manager where you can edit your settings.

You will have to install the virtual machine app, though my guess is that KVM/Qemu is built in most distros. However, I use VirtualBox for virtualization, and it works just fine. Also, you may want to install Wine (Windows Emulator) to directly execute exe files in your GNU+Linux.

All the distros do support all hardware, but I am not sure if the support for drivers of Nvidea exist. Anyways, that is my one attempt to clear things off.

Why not try dual booting with Linux and Window 7. Most of the Linux has dual boot features. Virtual machine may have certain limitation especially with 3D game.

^You want to install GNU/Linux system for playing 3D games? :o

IMHO, use the right tool for the right job. If you want an OS that supports all windows hardware and games, that's a job for windows.

If you want to run a linux distro, it's a whole different animal. Yes, you can find many distros out there (I like debian ubuntu myself). Yes, you can find linux version of alot of practical windows apps (i.e. mail clients, browsers, etc...) You get a lot more control over the os, no longer have to play the hardware upgrade game since you can run on almost any hardware, (insert all the other common reasons for linux).

Now linux is not windows. You can run WINE which will let you run some native windows apps within linux, but support app by app. And you might as well forget about 3dgaming in Linux.

khakilang's suggestion about a dual boot is a good start. Most live CD's will config the dual boot for you too.

I use a ubuntu 10.4 for my desktop and common apps. I use Virtual box and keep a Windows XP and windows 7 virtual machine ready to go to run the windows apps that don't translate well (specifically, outlook).

If you want to play, then boot native windows.

that's my 2 cents.

every linux distro is good. but, if you want it to be like window i.e. probably simpler than other linux distros then use ubuntu. i suggest using gnome because it's faster than kde but if you want more apps and particularly k3b and dragon player then use kde. i don't recommend installing them while using gnome (although you can.) and forget the 3d gaming part. there are only few good games for linux. use a dual boot in that case.

I'm looking for a Linux version that is equal to Windows7, has a virtual machine built in so I can run all my Windows programs and a distro that makes it a real argument over installing Windows7 because of it's features, ease of use and compatibility with most or specifically all hardware and Windows Software does such a Distro exist ?

You mean about every Linux Dists out there? XD Well maybe not every one, but as someone mentioned before. A gnome desktop (Ubuntu use gnome, and probably one of the easier linux dists to start off with) is simple, fast yet nice looking. And, using Compiz config you can get desktop effects you wouldnt dream of being available in any windows OS.

The sweet thing about linux is that (in most cases atleast) if something is made for linux, it works on every linux dist. Ofcourse its not always the case as every dist have it's own "special flavour" and/or desktop enviroment. (such as gnome, kde etc.)

A windows program is what it says, for windows. So natually you could think it would'nt work on a linux system. (Just as linux apps dont work in windows)

However, as Linux being as awesome as it is. It is possible to run alot of windows applications under linux using Wine. (Short for "Wine is not an emulator") Think you could explain Wine as a layer which fill in the necessary files & settings needed to run windows apps, kinda like when you run .exe files in windows under compability-mode. I dont play alot but it happens i play some Heroes of Might and Magic 4 or 5. And both works great in Wind for instance. :-)

Wine can't handle every windows application out there, but damn many. And its works on every linux dist (what i know of atleast). It doesen't rly have a GUI (more than for some settings) but there is a tool (w/ a GUI) named PlayOnLinux which handle these things for you. And its really easy to make use of.

This is all "just for" running windows application ofcourse, if you dont bother about windows application, then there is no need for wine.

Personally I think there is just as good (if not better) apps/tools for linux than on windows. And also, everything i use is free. Which is a big plus. Downside as said before, is the games. There is alot of them, but most ones are smaller homemade ones with different qualities. The only thing i still need from windows is iTunes (for syncing my iPad). And hav'nt got it to work in Wine, so what I'm doing is running windowsXP using virtualBox. And got iTunes installed in the virtual windowsXP system. Works damn fine to make use of iTunes there, and when im done i just close the "windowsXP window" (virtualBox).

oh well, hope you dont mind me rabbling away.. and that you found something i mentioned useful.

This spring, I showed my students a brand new powerful PC running XP with rights to "7". Their response was "It's so slow!!!". They were used to GNU/Linux on an 8 year old terminal server accessed from 7 year old PCs as thin clients. Logins takes 5s for my students. That other OS wanted to take half a minute or more. Just imagine how fast a new, powerful machine would be running GNU/Linux. "7" is slower than XP for many purposes. If you want the best use of your hardware investment, run GNU/Linux as the host OS and that other OS in a virtual machine if you must. You will find you rarely need to use "7" at all. I have only 2 machines running XP in my scahool's classrooms. All the other run GNU/Linux and they are fast and trouble-free.

see http://www.debian.org

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.