Wow, i got Linux Mint today and im impressed. Its an ubuntu ofshoot but isnt yet anothe *buntu as you may assume. It comes with a lot of relevant codecs/drivers etc out of the box and has a lot of new and exciting apps derived from YaST.

Anyone else running it?

One downside though, there mirrors are sooooooo slow.

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

I've heard of linuxmint. Heard it comes with the audio and video codecs. The new K3b 1. I thought gnome was the desktop but I see from distrowatch that kde 3.5.6 and xfce 4.4 are available too.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=mint
If the mirrors are too slow you can also get it at linuxtracker.
http://linuxtracker.org/torrents-search.php?search=Mint
Looks like a lot of seeders so the download should be fast. I may grab it just to have in the iso library.:) Thanks for the reminder.

i cant torrent or ftp, i have to use http because my isp only allows about 4 ports :(

the main desktop is gnome. did you get the new "bianca" version btw? - some links still point to the older versions

i cant torrent or ftp, i have to use http because my isp only allows about 4 ports :(

sheesh, what kind of ISP is that?

upside is that i get unlimited downloads. mosts isps here have between 1gb/month - 30gb/month limits

ouch
our limits here are measured in hundreds of gbs, so it's practically unlimited downloads. and no port blockage.
but the speeds suck

im on 2mb

the main desktop is gnome. did you get the new "bianca" version btw? - some links still point to the older versions

Yes. It is LinuxMint 2.2 bianca. The newest, latest. I still have to burn the iso. I was checking out the linuxmint forum first to see if I can install grub to root. Looks like I can.
Downloaded by torrent in 65 minutes I think. It was downloading over two hundred Kb/s but it went as high as 384 Kb/s for a while and as slow as 100 Kb/s. Just over an hour total.

my 250ish kbp/s takes about 45 for an .iso

yeah, just so you know mepnoob, here is how to put ubuntu grub to root:

before it starts the instal lin earnest, there should be a sort of summary screen and it should say something like:

grub : hd0 (this is a button, click it to change to root)

Thanks jbennet I didn't know that. That's a good tip. I may try it a bit later. I have been staying away from ubuntu 'cause I don't want to re-write the master boot record. Do you think that would work for feisty fawn? I'd like to pop fawn into my 51/2year olds computer. It has a great chess game for teaching chess. When it is your turn there are lines from each of your men showing all of the possible moves. Right now my son plays x-board with gnuchess and he is learning some of the moves. So the feisty fawn chess system would be a good teacher for him. I might just put mint on it too. It's pretty good.
In a few minutes I am going to try sabyon mini. The dvd version of sabyon wouldn't see my second pata drive. And it thought that the pata drive it did detect was a sata so I didn't bother to go further. Maybe the mini version of sabyon will do better.I have a fresh copy of PClinuxOS P93 Big daddy to play with too.Now that I can use grub with pclinuxos, and load it to root thanks to you. Thanks man. See ya. Oh ya...250 ish kbp/s is about 45 min to down too but it kept fluctuating from 100 to 384 not a steady 200 +. I was busy at some other forums so I didn't really watch the whole thing finish. Still not bad for a torrent.

i dont like fiesty fawn. just install edgy and if you want to upgrade when fiesty is stable, just change a few lines in your sources.list and do apt-get dist-upgrade

i think you can change grub to root by cliking the button on theis page:

http://debianadmin.com/copper/displayimage.php?pid=755&fullsize=1

not 100% sure though so run it in a VM or something first (if youve got 768 - 1gb ram then use virtual pc - it will fly, i use it a lot - theres a few minor twreaks to get *buntu working nicley on it though)

Thanks. I have 1.16 Gb of ram so vm would work all right. Thanks again.

yeaqh, i use virtual pc 2004 SP1- get it NOT 2007 or server.

I have 1gb ram and P4H T. Ubuntu 6.10 runs almost as well as on a real machine. Only problems with VM is that it has no sound (crappy sound card, can be made to work with linux but is a pain.)

also for most linuxes when you boot into VPC the screen will be screwed. Do control-alt F2 to go to a console and use nano or vi to change the default colourdepth in /etc/X11/xort.conf to 16

When in linux and you have a sound problem go to a konsole and paste this command in.
lspci | grep -i audio
Then paste this command in konsole next.
lsmod | grep -i snd
You will get a list that shows your pci cards and your loaded modules. At least you will know if your computer 'sees' the card and loads a module for it. It may just need one sound module blacklisted and another set in it's place.
Some sound problems are easy and some aren't. You get some clues from the outputs though. Sometimes more than one module is loaded and they conflict.
Post the results in your next post if you feel like it.

I liked linuxmint but I'm not a big fan of gnome. So I was happy today when I saw that linuxmint has come out with a beta bianca edition that uses kde. I got it from distrowatch. I will be testing it out tonight. Kde 3.5.6 and a newer amarok. Looks good so far. I won't really know until I install it and really work it over. Live cds only go so far.
See ya:D

you like kde?

i prefer gnome which is odd as i hate macs and vista. I just find gnome more productive and less ram intensive but theres no doubt that kde is much more configurable

sir, i have messed up my linuxmint sound.

here is the output

lspci | grep -i audio
Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 family .......
lsmod | grep -i snd

nothing happen.

in other words no snd mod loaded ( have been removed while messing around)

what shall i do to get sound

thanks a million

When in linux and you have a sound problem go to a konsole and paste this command in.
lspci | grep -i audio
Then paste this command in konsole next.

You will get a list that shows your pci cards and your loaded modules. At least you will know if your computer 'sees' the card and loads a module for it. It may just need one sound module blacklisted and another set in it's place.
Some sound problems are easy and some aren't. You get some clues from the outputs though. Sometimes more than one module is loaded and they conflict.
Post the results in your next post if you feel like it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.