I'm using a router and the other computers connect successfully to the router. I have one Dell that detects the network, but will not connect. I am unable to ping the router, and unable to get any message when I ipconfig other than "Media Disconnected." Any help is greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

How is your computer connected? Wireless or wired? What brand router are you using (and what version)? Have you tried reseting your router? Not unplugging and plugging it back in, but following the manufacture's instructions for reseting the router (probably pressing and holding the reset button, unplugging the power and then plugging it back in, and then releasing the reset button). What operating system are you using? Have you restarted your computer?

How is your computer connected? Wireless or wired? What brand router are you using (and what version)? Have you tried reseting your router? Not unplugging and plugging it back in, but following the manufacture's instructions for reseting the router (probably pressing and holding the reset button, unplugging the power and then plugging it back in, and then releasing the reset button). What operating system are you using? Have you restarted your computer?

The computer is connected wirelessly with a DLink driver to a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 router. We tried resetting the router. I just assigned a Mac address to the computer and it now will return a 169 IP address and 255.255 subnet. It was stuck on Finding the Network address, and then timed out and is back to having Media Disabled. I'm using Windows XP on a Dell desktop. I just restarted the computer.

Has this computer ever been connected to the router with the current configuration? Or did you just install a (new) wireless adapter for it? Do you have the latest driver for the D-link wireless adapter? Do you have the latest firmware installed on your router?

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support#

Here are the router reset instructions:

http://www3.nohold.net/noHoldCust56/Prod_6/KnowledgePortal/KPScripts/amsviewer.asp?docid=93bb017280e0407fb2322ac5d4af4166_KB4008_EN_070221_v1.xml&amsstatsid=7199453

"169......" is the default address that is assigned if the computer can't connect to a DHCP server (ie: your router in this case)

OK...U have Windows XP.

More than one computers are connected in ur network.

Other computers connect, but this one does not. Which means, u do not have any problems in the router.

Your computer is getting 169.x.x.x series of IP address, which could probably mean that, the router is not giving out DHCP address or ur computer is not accepting for some reason.

Find the IP address in the other computers. Check whether they are static or Dynamic. See what range they are in. for ex, if they are in 192.168.1.x something, assign an IP as static for ur machine.

then ping the router's gateway IP.... u should probably be able to connect.

Try connecting it via a wire to troubleshoot any other issues. If it connects fine with a regular network cable then you'll know it's the wireless card or its settings.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.